Rising PSA

todd64
todd64 Member Posts: 3 Member

My psa has been rising since 2012. Had several biopsies! The last one on 1/4/19 with 20 cores taken with no cancer! DRE was good but do have enlarged prostrate! No infection.

The urologist had me come in once a year for psa check!
On 2/17/23 my psa was 11.6. On 2/8/24 my psa was 13.56. Was checked again on 7/10/24 and it is 13.80. They have scheduled a mri on the 26st. I am 60 now so not sure if it is age related or possible pc. It’s not in my family that I know of! DRE is still good and no infection!

Comments

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 443 Member

12 years of PSA checks, DREs, and biopsies without any imaging studies (CT Scan, MRI, PET Scan)?? I'm sorry, but in my non-medical opinion, this is not a normal diagnostic protocol. My PCP dithered around for 5+ years with PSA positive tests and negative DREs, but did nothing else, until my PSA jumped 3 points in one year. At that time, he referred me to a Urologist who felt a significant abnormal prostate on his very first DRE exam. Imaging followed, but by that time, I had 4+3 Gleason PCa that had escaped the prostate.

The Urologist referred me to a Medical Oncologist who has managed my PCa journey for the past 12 years. In my non-medical opinion, you need to find a Medical Oncologist at a PCa center of excellence and get some imaging done to find the source on your elevated PSA.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    edited July 21 #3

It is common to calculate PSA density for enlarged prostates. This takes into account the size of the prostate and may be somewhat informative.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

Your high PSA could be related to an enlarged Prostate. Good thing you are having the MRI which should pinpoint any suspicious areas. Your doctor should use that data to do your next biopsy if needed.

Dave 3+4