Ovarian and uterine cancers

13»

Comments

• rdubins
    rdubins Member Posts: 26 Member

Me too. And once I got over the crushing news, and that took a bit…. I found that by telling my family that from now on, it will be a game of Whack a Mole. I'm am closely monitored, when we find something, we catch it early, and respond with a treatment. That's just the name of the game with ovarian cancer. I found that to be an easier way to discuss it rather than just blurt out "my cancer is back! I'm going into chemo again". We find it, find it fast, treat it. Bingo. There will always be a plan. I hope your daughter will be reassured that THIS time, you're catching it very early, and that you're on it. Best to you—And BTW, the second round of chemo isn't nearly as bad as the carbo/paclitacil was. Not by a long shot!

• wendidarling
    wendidarling Member Posts: 8 Member

I couldn't agree more about CA125 testing. It should be included in all general GYN exams as well as a BRCA test .

• MJS19
    MJS19 Member Posts: 46 Member

I think the problem with including CA-125 test in general gyn exams is that there is such a wide range of what is normal for individual women. My CA-125 was in the low 20s, well within the normal range, when I had the tumor in my uterus. I think there would be so many false positives and false negatives, both results being harmful, if every woman, regardless of risk or symptoms, was tested with every GYN exam. I completely agree, though, that cancer should be suspected much sooner when problems persist. I was fortunate that my GYN sent me for a D&C even though my CA-125 was not high and he thought it was highly unlikely that I had cancer. It turned out that "normal" for me was 7.

• wendidarling
    wendidarling Member Posts: 8 Member

Hear you. But I had a regular exam 3 months before I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2022 and there were no registered abnormalities. My CA125 was over 900 three months later. It's a simple test. And yes, my baseline when I was in remission for 2 years was 6-8. But it's only the fact that I'm tested every 2 or 3 months that I now know I'm at 80 in just six months time and CT shows my ovarian cancer, albeit I have no lady parts left, has now set up shop on my spleen and lung. Point being, having the blood test at the time of regular exams could help deter things from getting out of control. 35 is the high end of normal but the least, it could be monitored.

• beth2924
    beth2924 Member Posts: 29 Member

wendidarling,

I find it so bizarre that one test can tell so much and so little simultaneously. Since the CA 125 is far from definitive and only one small part of a woman's overall health, I think our doctors might be better trained at asking questions about all our symptoms. Granted, I don't know even one woman (of any age) who isn't chronically tired, fatigued, and having some cramps or pains. The thing that gets me is that we all (myself included) take this for granted and just assume it is nothing. I hate to pull the "woman" thing card but if women's health were taken more seriously, I wonder how many more cases would be caught early. Statistically speaking, prostate cancer can be cured when detected and treated early, and more than 90% of the cases are caught early. Compared with only 20% of ovarian cancers caught at an early stage. Do we really not know as much about the human female body as we do about the male body? How can this be?!

I am so sorry to hear how this snuck up on you and worse that after a total hysterectomy, your cancer has nested in your spleen and lung.

Beth