New Diagnosis of Stage 4 Metastatic Uterine Cancer

HeatherAmethyst
HeatherAmethyst Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi, I’m new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Heather. I’m 42 years old. After many trips over the years going to the ER over pain and being pushed away as they accused me of being a drug seeker, I found out in May of this year that I have stage 4 metastatic uterine cancer. After many tests and appointments, I now have a wonderful oncologist. I do feel like it has taken awhile, but Monday June 1st I have a procedure to get my port and the following day I begin my first journey with chemo and immunotherapy. I go once every three weeks for infusions of two different chemo medications and then immunotherapy. After three rounds I will have a scan. My liver’s pretty bad off as my cancer has spread there. As well as the lining of my abdomen, and many other places in my abdomen and reproductive area. My liver is the worst though and it’s pretty painful. I’m tired and exhausted all of the time and my life has just completely changed. I’m going through all of the emotions as well. Anger, depression, etc. I do have good days, but the cancer diagnosis is always in the back of my mind. But after my scan if I respond well enough to my infusions, my dr wants to do a debulking surgery with a hysterectomy. If my body hasn’t responded well enough, then it’s 3 more infusions and then another scan.
I don’t know anyone with this type of cancer or even stage 4. I just want some support and to know what I’m in for. I do have support at home. My family is wonderful. My 17 year old daughter is taking this really hard though. But I also have many wonderful friends. I’m just looking for support here with people going through what I am. I’m scared. I don’t know what kind of life expectancy I’m looking at. My dr wants me to have hope and be positive so as far as treatment goes, he’s going to aim for a cure. Which I’m aware of the statistics with that. I feel like he doesn’t want me to know and I’m the kind of person that wants to know the road ahead of me. I’m sorry I’m all over the place with this post. I’m still trying to process that this is my life right now. It was very unexpected and I’m in shock and just sad.

Any new friends, advice, etc is welcome. I’m trying to get myself in a good mindset, work on being positive and strong, and fight for whatever chances I have. 💜🦋

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

Hello Heather, first, you never have to apologize to us. I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through in the past and are dealing with now. Everything you feeling is understandable, as is your dear daughter. It is overwhelming and sends everyone into a whirlwind of emotions.

I don't think I can tell you anything about what to expect, and hope that the addition of immuneotherapy is the key for your treatment. It has shown a lot of promise. I would never tell you to be positive or strong, I know there were days I never felt like that and would have been happy not to even be in the situation.

I am so glad to hear about your wonderful friends and support. None of us fight along, and suspect your daughter needs time with her mom as much as she can.

Please let us know how it is going. It can be a little quiet here but there are people who come to visit regularly. I want to know how you are doing and don't hesitate to ask anything. Hugs dear one.

• theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 16 Member

Hi HeatherAmethyst - I am Stage 4 endometrial/uterine cancer also. I was diagnosed last June after a radical hysterectomy. It was a huge blow to me and my family. My type of cancer is serous, which I understand is difficult to treat. My cancer did not respond to 5 rounds of carboplatium/taxol chemotherapy, so I'm on Keytruda/Lenvima immunotherapy now. (I also do complementary supplements and herbals recommended by my herbalist in union with my oncologist) I have not had my first scan, yet, after starting this latest therapy. So I understand your roller coaster, and having a great doctor that you trust and a supporting family really helps.

And we are here for you too.

• CarlieG
    CarlieG Member Posts: 1 *

Hello Heather, I am stage 4 endometrial/uterine cancer diagnosed on Monday. I had a total hysterectomy the week prior after US showed a very large thickness with the lining of my endometrium. I am just 47 as well. I always felt like my complaints of heavy, prolonged periods were just overlooked (even when I needed blood tranfusions) because I have always been a little overweight. I am also diabetic. I weigh 179 and am 5'8. Like you, I am scared out of my mind right now, with tears rolling down my face- stressing how superficial that losing my hair will be = and then thinking how silly when I am literally in the fight for my life. My mom is 80 and we just lost my dad this past winter. I am an only "child" and feel responsible for her. I need to outlive her!! The oncologist wants to start chemo on July 30 but I am just unsure. I have to weigh the quality of life versus the quanity of life.

I have had a very rewarding career for the past 25 years working very hard in my town's largest non-profit. It is all I have ever known. Losing my hair, my career- it is just all too much to think about. The loss of my self identity is soul crushing.

I am in Ohio, and called today to make an arragement for a second opinion at Cleveland Clinic.

I would love to talk to someone who is going through this same gut wrenching heartbreak.

All my love and prayers for you and your daughter, and your family.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 281 Member

Hi, ladies. I am so sorry to hear of your diagnoses. It's so scary, especially at first.

In my case, I was diagnosed with a recurrence to my hip and my lungs. Stage IV. But that was 6 and a half years ago. I had chemo and radiation and am on Megace for maintenance. My now once-yearly CT scan is coming up so I'm anxious about that. My oncologists are pleased with how I'm doing. I'm currently considered "stable disease." At least until the scan.

Best of luck to all of you with your treatments!

• AchillesMom
    AchillesMom Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello Heather! I am so sorry to read all of this. You are so young When I was 58 (6 years ago) I began to bleed while on the treadmill at the gym. I was also taken very lightly by my gynecologist. I pushed for ultrasounds and they had to do a D&C. And it came back cancer too of the endometrium. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and have the scars to prove it. We are all here for you. I wish you God's Speed. All I can tell you is I have won this battle so far. Keep punching! Sending you love and light….Karen

• AchillesMom
    AchillesMom Member Posts: 7 Member

Dear Carlie, I am so sorry to read what you are going through. Cleveland Clinic is excellent. My husband goes there for his diabetes and heart problems.

As far as losing your hair, have you heard of cold-capping? it saves about 70 percent of your hair! A friend of mine did that and she had great success with it WE ARE here for you! Karen

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

CarlieG, I'm sorry I missed your post a few days ago. (there are days I still struggle with this new format).

We can hear how overwhelmed you are in your words - and that is ok. It is a TON to try and take in and you are very young. Let's see if all of us can help unpack some of this.

First, try to take a breath. I have some questions for you and you may need to follow up with your gyn onc. Did they do genetic testing on your cancer? You are in Cleveland Clinic, so I would expect them to, but sometimes you need to ask anyhow. There are things like dMMR, pMMR, P53, POLE - all terms I know you don't know but they should. There are new immuneotherapy drugs that are effective on uterine cancer. Often all of these drugs are in coordination with something else, not just one drug.

Chemo. Scary to think about but very 'doable'. I can absolutely promise you that you will amaze yourself. There are things to figure out, and it is terrifying to think about, but many of us have walked in that place and that is how we can tell you that. (I still know the dates of mine). As you consider it, and treatments are always your decision, I hope they sat down with you to go over the scheduled, the pill schedule, which would include a step down on the steroids.

Now, let's talk about losing your hair. Yes, it sucks. Totally. I was always so in awe of the women who wore their beautiful, bald head out there in public - but that was not me. I did get a wig that was very close to my real hair, but it is a hurdle. I cried like a baby. I get it sister.

Your mom. Wow. I am sure that was hard. I am sure she is terrified too - her baby. This sucks too. No nice way to put that. You are feeling everything about it.

Please let us know what you decide to do. Also, please don't hesitate to start a new thread about you. I lose some of our awesome warriors when they get involved in the conversations back and forth, and I don't want to.

What other questions do you have for us? Just remember, "You are statistic of one". I wish I could take credit for that but one of the gyn warriors coined that phrase many years ago and several of us feel it says so much.

Hugs dear one.

• oldbeauty
    oldbeauty Member Posts: 377 Member

Ladies, I would just like to voice my support for enduring the emotional roller coaster that you ladies describe.

HeatherAmethyst and CarlieG, you don't state the type of UC/EC you were diagnosed with. Theresap60, you have serous, which other long-lived posters have survived.

Me, I have survived endometrioid-type UC since 2005. I have recurred several times (2 surgeries; 4 radiations; 1 chemo; 1 hormone-based therapy) and came through all treatments, maybe a little worse for wear (neuropathy) but still healthy and active at 70. I can tell you I went on for years forecasting my imminent death (those bi-annual CT scans are notorious "scanxiety" producers). Partly this was because I was not given encouraging prognoses after my first recurrence, partly it was due to my own emotional issues of long-standing. It is not a good way to live, and I would encourage you to explore and give yourself over to whatever "live for the day" methodology works best for you.

I was able to adopt that philosophy, finally, in 2020 when I had a cancerous one lung nodule removed and two others zapped with high beam radiation (stereotactic "knife"). It "cured" me of foreboding because the little suckers had taken two years to grow larger enough to do something about. That showed me my UC likely was somewhat indolent and could be considered stable disease.

Life was great, I stopped thinking about cancer, and then this year I was diagnosed completely out of the blue with colon cancer. I had the right side of my large intestine removed, including my appendix. They found appendix cancer there as well. I have no risk factors or genetics to explain these developments. But the cure for appendix cancer is to have the organ removed, and my surgeon encouraged me to consider myself cured of colon cancer (chemo not indicated for my stage of disease). Then, my darling spouse was diagnosed with a life-limiting disease which has yet to fully declare itself, which freaked me out and sent me to a few sessions of counseling.

All this to say, you can't know every single thing about how/why your body works. Apparently, there is something about my personal biome that can, under the right conditions, provide a hospitable place for cells to mutate and avoid detection by the other cells that are supposed to kill them. Oh well, so be it. Life goes on. There is nothing I can do but treat my body well—eat right, exercise, invest in friends and family, focus each day on things that bring me joy. Worrying about myself or my spouse is unproductive and depressing. So, I have finally decided that the advice to take each day as it comes is not simplistic "feel good" BS; it's actually a good recipe for when the going gets tough. When you think about it, there are myriad approaches/philosophies/religions that share the key advice to shift your focus from the future that you can't predict or control to the today that you can have at least some agency over. They are on to something. It can be a challenge to reorient yourself away from obsessing over the unknown future, but there are modalities that you can explore that may help you.

A few sessions with a good therapist allowed me to understand that my "need" to know all, see all and understand all was driven by anxiety, and now I am allowing my rational self to finally accept that even if I had all that info, what would I do with it? If you could see into the future, and it was a result you could be fine with, Hooray. But if it wasn't so great, what does that get you? Nothing but fear, depression and resignation, I think. I'll take live for today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow. My spouse and I had a counselor twelve years ago, after my first recurrence when I was give about 18 months, who urged us to adopt the live for today viewpoint. He counseled that IF we had to face a crisis someday, we would be able to meet it and deal with it at that time, and that we would rise to the occasion (think about it, what else would you do?). In the meantime, it is merely a prospect that you can't know or control so why give it space in your brain? There are better things to do with your time…like living! It was good advice that I didn't listen to at the time. I spent the next 10 years expecting to die sooner rather than later (I might need a few things but would buy clothes only at the end of a season on "clearance" because I might be dead next year and not need them. How depressing is that?). But I faced and survived challenges since then, and have finally come around to seeing the wisdom in this life strategy. But just because it makes a lot of sense doesn't mean it's easy to get there.

Please feel free to post here about your disease and treatment, and ask questions because there are some really knowledgeable ladies here, and, certainly, understand your disease to the extent you get what your doctors are telling you, and enough to ask good questions and advocate for yourself. Second opinions are good. And, if at all possible, invest in your health by changing diet and exercise habits that may not be in your best interests now. Avoid fixating on a "parade of horribles."

I hope you find some emotional equilibrium in due course, and that your treatment experience is doable for you. I am sorry you needed to find this board but you are safe here, and there is much useful, actionable info here. Best wishes to you all, Oldbeauty

• jazpgh8
    jazpgh8 Member Posts: 2 Member

hi Heather. Sending healing/comforting vibes you way.

I too was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer (Figo 3, dMMR) 6/13. I had surgery and plan on doing chemo/immunotherapy starting 7/18. For the most part, the physical pain has been the “easy” part for me - the mental anguish though has been a roller coaster that I can’t get off of. Every day, crying, depressed, anxious about this test or that test, do I have some other cancer, what does my CT scan showing a “new” tumor mean - and how am I going to get through this.

All of which is to say, I can’t tell you what to expect with chemo, yet. But I can 100% understand the feelings, deep feelings, that this causes for you and for your loved ones. They want to help, and they don’t know how. But the love us, the love us so much. And they have hope for us.

You can get through this. And it’s okay to not be happy, to be downright furious, that you have to. But the one thing you are not, is alone.