Intermittent dysphagia

mencken75
mencken75 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited May 30 in Esophageal Cancer #1

tongue cancer survivor here. Last two weeks on a few occasions I have experienced fairly intense discomfort/ aching pain behind my breast bone when swallowed food. Food feels like it has been stuck or is passing slowly in that area. I have not coughed up food. Most meals I eat fine without these problems, however. I’m getting a scope on Monday but of course am anxious, having already had a relatively rare cancer once. I figure that the dysphagia would be constant if there were a tumor obstruction, not intermittent. I know I have to wait until Monday but I honestly could not stop from posting here given my anxiety level to ask whether anyone’s food swallowing problems were intermittent before being diagnosed. I figured this is more likely esophigitis or esophageal spasms.

Comments

• annoulla
    annoulla Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi mencken75,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear about the discomfort you're experiencing. It’s understandable to feel anxious, especially considering your history with cancer.

My husband is currently dealing with esophageal cancer, and we've been through a lot of research and discussions with our medical team. While I’m not a medical professional, I’ve learned that intermittent dysphagia can be due to various reasons, including esophagitis or esophageal spasms, as you mentioned.

It’s reassuring that most of your meals are without issues and that you haven’t coughed up food, which might suggest a less severe cause. It’s good that you’re getting scoped on Monday, as that should provide more clarity.

In the meantime, try to stay positive and focus on the fact that your symptoms are not constant, which might be a good sign. Your concern and proactive approach by seeking advice and getting checked are commendable.

I hope your scope results bring good news and some peace of mind. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Best wishes and may God bless you with strength,

Anna

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member

I had the same. Ended up at GI Dr, got scoped and expanded x 2 , also barium swallow, and manometry. The last one will probably be the most useful.

My esophagus is less than a cm wide, and I have next to no motility in the lower 3rd.

There is no cure, no meds as yet.

But this are the tests you need.