Flowmax (Tamsulosin)

swl1956
swl1956 Member Posts: 121 Member

I'm currently taking 0.4 mg of Tamsulosin every 12 hours prescribed by my surgeon that performed a Focal IRE Nanoknife ablation 3 weeks ago. He wants me to do this for a month then cut back to once daily after that. I'm still peeing a bit of blood at onset of urine stream, but otherwise doing well during the day. At night however, I'm up peeing about every 2 hours. Has anyone had experience like this with this medication?

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

I used flowmax for a time, never had that. I did have prostate surgery, and it took about 90 days for everything to settle down. I think it is the recovery from the surgery more than the flowmax.

JMHO!

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 57 Member

if I read your question correctly you feel the medication is the cause of getting up multiple times per night. The medication is being prescribed to assist you with the /inflammation/bleeding caused by your procedure by relaxing your prostate and improving your stream. Flomax is typically used for BPH (especially getting up at night to pee).

They want you to back off the double dose in a month because they expect your inflammation to be much less by then

jc

• swl1956

Were you peeing some blood throughout those 90 days? I guess with any of these procedures it takes a while. I did ask my surgeon how blood and debris get into the urethra if it just passes through the prostate. He explained that the urethra is porous with ducts that flow into the urethra from the prostate.

• swl1956

I hope you are correct. It's impossible to get a good nights sleep. Before my procedure, I might have to get up once during the night to pee and sometimes not at all. I'm likely being impatient. It's only been three weeks. I don't like taking medications unless I really have to. Not sure I should experiment with cutting back the dosage sooner?

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 57 Member

Understand 1000%. King of impatience here. Hang in there, your prostate won’t stay pissed off forever (see what I did there?).
    jc

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

I was.

If you fall and skin your knee, look how long it takes to completely heal. Now imagine if it was immersed in urine the whole time. 😀