Starting my own journey with Hodkin's Lymphoma

drwrose
drwrose Member Posts: 3 Member

I'm a 56 year old male, diagnosed last month. I've had one chemo treatment so far, and (my first?) unexpected hospital stay as a result of dealing with the side effects. So much still for me to learn! Glad to meet everyone today!

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,499 Member

Welcome! But sorry to hear of your current situation. Is it classical Hodgkin's or Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's? They are actually two substantially different malignancies, with differing treatment and outcomes.

• drwrose
    drwrose Member Posts: 3 Member

Ah, this is a very detail-oriented group! I like that; I need to learn to be more specific when appropriate. My precise diagnosis is Nodular Sclerosis Classic Hodgkin Lymphoma.

My oncologist had started me on BV-AVD, and I received one treatment of this so far. However, this walloped my gastrointestinal system more than expected, and I ended up in the hospital with hyponatremia after being unable to eat for a couple of days. But fortunately for me, there's a new regimen for my specific kind of lymphoma that's on the cusp of broader adoption, replacing Brentuximab vendotin with Nivolumab. This new N-AVD regimen has shown tremendous promise, even outperforming BV-AVD, so my doctor wants to switch me to this new regimen as soon as we can persuade my insurance that it's a legitimate option. In the meantime, I'll be taking at least a week of plain AVD (eliminating BV for now to reduce the traumatic side effects on my GI tract).

Cutting edge technology, that's me!

David

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,499 Member

Well, medical science "at the speed of science" has finally determined/admitted that NLPHL is not actually a Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The World Health Organization is moving to re-classify it to "Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant B-Cell Lymphoma. It is an indolent B-Cell variety and the almost ancient regimen of ABVD is being phased out as treatment. That is a good thing, as the "B" in ABVD is Bleomycin, technically an antibiotic, but which is known for toxicity to the lungs.

Of the drugs you are receiving, I have received only one. Adcetris (Brentuximab Vedotin) is a new-gen antibody-drug conjugate which is a brilliant idea. Very effective against cancer cells which express "CD30", it is known for producing some peripheral neuropathy, however. The other drugs in AVD include Doxorubicin (Adriamycin - also technically an antibiotic), also known as "red devil" or "red bull." It can have some later skin-related effects (hand and foot syndrome) that are not nice. The Vinblastine and Dacarbazine have their own effects.

I would suppose that doctor may reduce the level of one or more of the drugs, or perhaps increase treatment intervals.