Mastectomy

dmaikui
dmaikui Member Posts: 13 Member
edited June 21 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello: I had Invasive Ducto Carsinoma in 2012, HER2 +. Did 2 months of chemo, lumpectomy then radiation, they also removed 36 nodes. Cancer is back, 2024, same breast only it's HER2 triple negative. They want me to do 3 months of chemo, I've refused. I'm getting a mastectomy and removal of sentenial node on June 10th at Fred Hutch in Seattle. For those of you that had a flat mastectomy, no reconstruction, did it take a long time to heal? Under my arm is already scared from last time and I've no feeling in my upper arm. Are there any suggestions to help it heal comfortably and quickly? I'm a little scared I won't be able to lift my arm. Thank you 😊

Comments

• RachelsGarden
    RachelsGarden Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello! I did a double mascetomy and then plastic surgery to fix what I didn't like about my scars. This was four years ago. Because for some reason, a lot of surgeons don't understand that many of us don't want to have reconstruction of any kind, just a nice flat chest. My plastic surgeon was amazing and my chest is flat. Except for my scar. it really didn't take me long from either surgery to recouperate. However, at the time I did a lot of wall hanging macrame and weaving so my arms were used to being up and moving. There are some YouTube videos that go week by week with exercises for masectomy patients. Very gentle. But because I used my arms so much I didn't have much trouble at all. Good luck and if and when you go out in public as a flat woman not wearing a bra of any kind, just remember that not only are you flat, but flat and fabulous!

• dmaikui
    dmaikui Member Posts: 13 Member

Thank you! I opted for the flat chest, I'm 66 and have heard horror stories about reconstruction surgery. My surgeon did a great job, I think, before I just had it done on 6/10. I still have one breast so I need some type of support. I'll be starting physical therapy in a couple weeks. Thank you for your encouragement