Surveillance Visits By NP?

woodstock99
woodstock99 Member Posts: 206 Member

Hi All - I hope this finds everyone doing well. I am not on here often anymore due to a million other life things but I am always grateful to all the support and knowledge here. Currently 3 years NED.

I am curious about whether or not your GO has a NP do surveillance check-up exams? I was told by a nurse that my GO office may switch to that alternating GO and NP every visit and I am not comfortable with an NP doing my exam.

I am good with NP's in many medical situations but not something as critical as this particularly through year 5. Not sure what I will do if this is indeed what is going to happen.

Thanks.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

Nice to hear you are 3 years out Woodstock NED. I am coming on 6 years NED July 16. I have seen the NP since year two. They are very well trained to do the screening exam. IF there is anything in your interview OR the vaginal exam and abdominal palpation, it is reported to the MD and you will be seen by them. There is a shortage of gynecological oncologists so this is a good way to use their skills for active cases. NP will probably be even more anxious to report anything, anything suspicious. But it is your choice.

• woodstock99
    edited June 17 #3

Thanks for your insight. Do you know what education, training and experience - at a minimum - should an NP have in this area to be qualified?

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member
    edited June 17 #4

I wouldn't be surprised if they have an extra qualification. That is a great question for your doctor's office. I don't know the answer for sure. And that would be great to share with this board.

Sue

• woodstock99

I do not see any extra qualification in her bio but this is someting I will discuss on my upcoming visit with GO.

• MJS19
    MJS19 Member Posts: 46 Member

Since the beginning, all my visits, whether exams or treatments have alternated between my gyn/onc and the oncology nurse practitioner on this team. They are both fantastic, and I really appeciate alternating between them, as it allowed me to develop a relationship with two people with complementaty but also slightly different focuses and experience.

Good luck.

• theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 16 Member

Woodstock99 - congratulations on 3 years NED! My GO alternates with his NP, as a rule.

• AchillesMom
    AchillesMom Member Posts: 7 Member

I am just reading this. Personally I do not want any NP doing my internal examinations. I recently changed doctors because of one gyno that refused a pap smear of the vaginal cuff. I am in good hands now with another doctor. She doesn't miss a trick and no NP. If you are not comfortable with them, I definitely would switch. Too me, this is a very, very personal decision and exam.