Wife's pathology for endometrial cancer

timspa
timspa Member Posts: 6 Member

My wife recently had a D and C because of some post menopausal bleeding which we assumed was because of the diet drug she is talking. Yes, the drug can trick the body into acting younger and having a menstrual period.

After the D and C the doc said they removed a polyp as well. We were told the pathology came back negative. A week later the doc called and said there is actually a reason for a hysterectomy because there were some cells and he's calling it possible endometrial cancer. I have read if we caught it early it's very treatable and if not it could be more serious. I understand most of these cancers are slow growing. I want to convince myself that we caught it early and it will be very treatable but I know not to fool myself too much and he prepared.

I believe God has a plan for each of us but I would like to hear of others experiences. I know you probably don't see posts from men very often but I am concerned. Thank You

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

timspa, first, your wife is so lucky to have you! Believe it or not we HAVE seen spouses on here and all our welcome. None of us fight this battle alone and need the love and support of all.

It sounds like your wife had it looked at quickly and didn't put it off, so that is great. The hysterectomy will allow them to do full tesing on all that is removed.

Make sure you are working with a GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGIST to complete that surgery and that they do genetic testing on anything that they find - if not that polyp as well.

Please let us know how everything goes but please don't hesitate to ask any questions. We have a lot of tips posted on recovery from surgery.

• timspa

She is working with a gyn onc physician. Thank you for your encouragement. I will remember to update after the hysterectomy. Thank you again so much.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member
    edited May 31 #4

Welcome timspa. I would like to add that Your wife's biopsy should be able to identify the grade of cell. You are correct the majority are slow growing, and usually early stage. If that is the case she would need no further treatment after surgery. If she has a higher grade cell, then treatment would be likely. I think about 80% are low grade so her chances are very good that will be the case for her.

My pathology changed after a gynecological pathologist looked at the slides. I didn't know that was even a specialty. So your wife's change in pathology is not unheard of or rare. Pathology is a difficult specialty and sometimes even they can't identify types of cells. They will treat for the most highly suspected cell.

• timspa

Thank you very much for that information. I'm hoping but not completely counting on it being low grade. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Thank you kindly for your words of wisdom.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,688 Member

Timspa, I just wanted to welcome you and tell you my fingers are crossed that the next time we hear from you will be with good news. Give your wife a hug from us.

• timspa

Update. At this point the oncologist is thinking it is Type II serous cells which is not good. CT soon and then hysterectomy in about 10 days. Kind of confusing because she is pretty much asymptomatic. We are having faith in God no matter which way this turns. Thank You

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

The most common reason for biopsy is bleeding and not pain. I never had any pain associated with my diagnosis. Serous is a more aggressive type of cell. I was told I had "pre cancer" and then when my biopsy was sent to a University I think the diagnosis was changed because I had P53 mutation. That is most often serous. SO I had those cells in a polyp. You might ask if the cells were in the polyp. My biopsy report gave that information. So, waiting is really hard but hopefully she caught it early. The stage will be determined at surgery. They do biopsies right during surgery. Ask about sentinel node mapping. There is lots of information here about how to prepare for surgery. I recommend reading it. I ended up being early stage. That was 6 years ago. I was also serous.

• timspa

I believe hers was sampled from a polyp as well. Just depends on if it made its way out or not. You are the perfect person to talk to about this so God has answered a prayer with you. Yes the gyn onc said they would test while they are in there and that would help him determine how far he needs to go. Still a little in shock right now but your story gives a bit of encouragement. Thank You..

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

Hey, timspa, I said it before and I'll say it again: you are a good spouse.

Genetic testing after they remove everything is the only way to really know what you are dealing with as Forherself mentioned, and the genetic testing aspect is critical. I was serous and not p53, but there are other things that they are finding respond based on pMMR, dMMR, POLE, p53, etc.

Unfortunately, the links of FAQ to an old post on surgery tips is massively broken - I have tried a few different ways and hope maybe someone else can help.

It is completely understandable to be overwhelmed - no matter how long. Take a breath, please ask questions, and let us know how it is going.

• timspa

Thank you all. Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst. You all are a Godsend.