Hi, new member here. Having issues more than 2 years out.

Bvan
Bvan Member Posts: 3 *

So, back in Jan '21 I had a cramp in my small intestines area. Got worse over several days and I ended up in Hospital. Turned out to be a large mass 10cm. Surgery was performed, got infection and after about 2 weeks in hospital ,the oncologist came in and stated it was Lymphoma, bulky mass (DELCL). Leaving the hospital, with a drain for my infection and still on antibiotics for about 3 months total. I had my port and bone marrow sample and started RCHOP Chemo within a month of leaving hospital. Did 6 treatments, 6 months, and felt fairly poorly. About a year after diagnosis, I was hit with COVID which nearly killed me. I was in hospital for 3 days. So, at this time, 2 years out of RCHOP Chemo, I feel like crap. Weak, tired, neuropathy, joint pain, shooting electrical pains. I have brain fog and no real short term memory. I can remember years ago like it was yesterday. Are there people out there that feel like I do this far out. it has been 2 1/2 years since surgery. It has been 2 years after Chemo. I just don't feel like I am getting better. I am not depressed, I take pain pills and get screened for depression each month. I have PTSD and anxiety from a past life. I feel very frustrated and wanting to go back to my normal life. Is this a common issue or is mine more extreme. Thank you for letting me vent, B Van

Comments

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 920 Member

what is your age?

• Bvan
    Bvan Member Posts: 3 *
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,499 Member

So sorry to hear this. with all that your immune system has been trough, it is little wonder that you have. a range of symptoms. Cancer triggers your immune system. Chemotherapy both damages and suppresses it. Covid triggered it once again. At the risk of offense to some, if you were injected against Covid, that had demonstrable ill effects in many cases. It certainly did with me. "Vaccine" injury" is now recognized and some government insurance agencies are paying compensation. but, it is now water under the bridge. What do we do? Hpw do we move forward?

Sad to admit, but we cancer patients are damaged goods. The walking wounded. That does not mean that life is not worth living. We are also adaptable creatures. Those with a bad leg may limp, but still walk. As well, we have aged during our cancer journey. At times it is difficult to separate the effects of chemotherapy from simple aging.

If you have been with the same team all throughout this, perhaps a different set of eyes on your case - second opinion - may well net you some relief. Counseling has benefited millions. Various other forms of coping also exist.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 920 Member

You are not very old so its possible that your memory issues are related to “chemo brain”. There is a lot of info on the web.I went thru chemo twice plus had loads of Rituxan. My after effects are anemia (now resolved) with resulting tiredness, neuropathy in my feet (mostly at night), sore muscles and joints and memory lapses. Like you I can remember my 5th birthday but frequently lose things. Just try to build your life around it. Adapt! My blood work, except for platelets is back to normal. I saw one of my two oncologists last week and he said my lymphoma is back but we will watch and wait since it is still an indolent form. I see the other one in late June. I never trust just one doctor and try to not let them see each other’s diagnoses to ensure they are not simply copying. That is difficult with MyChart so I intentionally have one who does not use that system. Live your life. Test your limits! We only go round once.