How is the Gleason score summed?

JBella70
JBella70 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 10 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hi everyone. I just received a diagnosis of prostate cancer and have a question about how the Gleason score is summed up. Is it the score of your worst biopsy core or the sum of ALL of your cancer-positive cores? For example, in my case I have 3 positive cores.

3 + 3

3 + 4

4 + 3

Would my overall Gleason score be 4 + 3 or 3 + 4?

On another topic, I want to send my biopsy samples out to a major cancer center for a second opinion and maybe some additional processing (like the Decipher test). Do you normally contact the receiving party first to set up the "appointment"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 85 Member

My samples were sent automatically by my urologist to be Decipher-ed. I didnt know enough to ask about it at the time.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

4+3 would be your Gleason score. You take the worst.

You can probably ask your urologist to seek a second opinion from wherever and they will handle it. I reached out to Hopkins for my first second opinion, they gave me a form to provide to my hospital. The second second opinion, they handled everything after I asked.

• JBella70
    JBella70 Member Posts: 4 Member

My urologist hasn't mentioned it so I'll be sure to bring it up. Thanks.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 605 Member

the difference between 3+4 and 4+3 is rather simple if it’s 3+4 that means the majority of the cancer was Gleason grade 3 if it’s 4+3 that means the majority of the Gleason grade was four

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

There is no overall Gleason score. The biopsy found 3 different grades of cancer with the 4+3 being the most aggressive. Steve1961 explanation of the Gleason score was spot on. I would think that your initial biopsy doctor could send it out to a another analysis lab of your choosing.

Dave 3+4