MRI with or without contrast

fjubier
fjubier Member Posts: 24 Member

Hi,

I am already one year in active surveillance but I have decide to treat this year with focal therapy.

Before starting the treatment, I had an MRI done yesterday but it was without contrast.

Should I request another one with contrast before starting a treatment?

Thanks,

Fred

Comments

• frank1956
    frank1956 Member Posts: 19 Member

I am a layman, but I just watched this video. The doctor giving the answers is from UCLA.

This is more than 2 hours long. At around 1:27:45, the specific question is being asked:

To use contrast or not to use contrast, that is the question. Watch it to see what the doctor said.

• fjubier

Thanks for sharing this video. This was very useful.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

If it was me I would go with the contrast for better definition. From what I have read if you have kidney disease or are allergic to the contrast medium then don’t go with it.

Dave 3+4

• fjubier

The video says this is 90% of the time they detect all tumors without contrast but I rather ask to reddo the MRI with contrast to cover all the ground. Since I am going for Focal treatment you better know the minefield…I think if you are going for all gland treatment then this is not really important. But I think the focal therapy is relying a lot on good imaging to get the job done if you go for hemi ablation of the gland.

• swl1956
    swl1956 Member Posts: 121 Member

I'm wondering if a contrast injection is used during a Tulsa Pro procedure? I believe Tulsa Pro is the only ablation technique that employs real time imaging while the patient is in the MRI. From what I've read, contrast makes MRI images easier to read. I would think that would be beneficial. It's my understanding that most other ablation technologies ( HIFU, Cryo, IRE, FLA ) all use Trans-rectal ultrasound imaging during the procedures. The newer Micro-Ultrasound being debated as possibly being good as MRI? It's difficult to figure what's the best way to go and whom really is the best at doing it. So many conflicting opinions even when we're listening to the "experts". I've had several doctors recommend to not get a PSMA PET scan. From what I read about them, they're a game changer? I insisted on one, which did not show any metastasis. If nothing else, confirmed the MRI and Bone scan results which made me feel a bit more confident.