Post RARP cath removal incontinence

kmaly1
kmaly1 Member Posts: 10 Member
edited May 14 in Prostate Cancer #1

Good evening to all. I had my DaVinci RARP at Advent Celebration and had a great experience. Stage pT3b involved 11 - 20% of gland. Negative surgical margins. 3 lymph nodes negative for malignancy. Cath removed yesterday, and now I have very little control - very incontinent, especially with 6 - 8 8ounce glasses a day. I was told no Keagal for 7 days but can I at least try and stop the flow when I feel it coming on? I have been through about 10 diapers today.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,700 Member

Well,

I think that your doctor's comment regarded the physical exercises of kegel.

You can stop the flow to get into a toilet.

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 57 Member

the period shortly after Catherine removal is definitely the worst. He did not want you to do Kegel exercises in the first week in order avoid increasing irritation and inflammation where your bladder was sewn back to your urethra.
    I think most of us experience pretty significant incontinence early on. It does improve and should improve for you as well, I am 3 1/2 months out and would say I’ve only considered my continence reasonable in the past two weeks. By the way sounds like we had the same surgeon.
    Good luck, stay patient and it really should get better. Congratulations on your negative surgical margins and lymph nodes.

jc

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,
    Your doctor should give you the green light on your Kegals in the near future and how many a day, then adding on to strengthen the muscles. It took me months to see improvements. As the above survivors said you gotta heal so take it easy until your doctor gives you the green light.

Dave 3+4

• On_A_Journey
    On_A_Journey Member Posts: 126 Member

It is early days for you, @kmaly1.

Things will improve. I initially felt embarrassed feeling myself let go into pads, but I got to the stage where I didn't need them. Give it time.

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 389 Member

Well, had my RALP back in 2018. I did my kegels a lot prior to the surgery. I peed in that Depends for 4 months pretty regularly. I did try the stop/start I think that helps. Somewhere between the 4th and 6th month, I regained full control (incontinent at 6 months). I never let that issue with my and my wife's interfere with our Quality of Life (at the time we camped a lot). It is my understanding that the internal urinary sphincter is removed/dissected during a RP. So, now you have only one (urinary external sphincter). One cut on valve for start and stop vs 2. Give yourself time. Best of luck on your journey.

• kmaly1
    kmaly1 Member Posts: 10 Member

I really appreciate everyone's support. I do not plan on letting this interfere - just learning to manage it. For instance, I have learned to be prepared when rising from a sitting position and after laying down. I am only trying limited control now, but am 9 days post op so should be able to restart Kegals