Endometrial hyperplasia or cancer concerns

Luna325
Luna325 Member Posts: 2 *

I'm 4 and a half years postmenopause. I had some light bleeding 9 months ago, light bleeding 7 months ago, and then a little heavier bleeding for almost a month in December 2023. I have never taken HRT for menopause.

At first, I was uneducated about bleeding post menopause was something to be checked immediately. I didn't worry until December with a little heavier bleeding.

I had to go through my primary care doctor, so I could be referred to gyn.

Next, I seen a gyn nurse practitioner. She had a transvaginal ultrasound done, in office, which showed enlarged uterus (adenomyosis) and irregular endometrial lining 19 mm in thickness.

I have a history, since I started menses, of irregular periods. Very heavy, lasting two or more weeks, and only having them every 3 to 4 months apart. I was told when I was 18 years of age, that I would most likely need fertility medicine to conceive, that I wasn't ovulating. Somehow, I was able to get pregnant when I was 20, but no luck after. So I'm blessed with one child.

I was once told I had PCOS, when I was younger, but no other gyn mentioned it. I would put it on my medical history form.

She did a pap smear and tried to do an endometrial biopsy in office. My cervix were closed, so she referred me to the gyn doctor in the office. Seen him May 2nd and I'm scheduled for hysteroscopy with d&c on June 17, 2024.

I'm concerned I could have precancer or cancer.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms with endometrial cancer?

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

Welcome Luna. Yes your symptoms need to be checked out. BUT the good news is nine in ten biopsies are negative for cancer. And if it is cancer, it is most likely the slow growing kind, endometrioid. So try not to get ahead of yourself and wait for the biopsy results. You could ask for a preventative hysterectomy if the biopsy is negative. Then you won't have to worry about this again.

Sue

• Luna325
    Luna325 Member Posts: 2 *

Thank you, Sue.

It's comforting to know it's rare to have uterine cancer.

As a preventative, I will opt for a hysterectomy.

It's nice to have support during this time of uncertainty and anxiety.

Luna

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

It is very scary to be told this, and then have to wait. We are here for you

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

Hello Luna, it is completely understandable to be concerned, but you are getting it checked out which is great. Sadly, I don't think you are alone in knowing that irregular bleeding after menopause could be a sign of an issue. Heck, irregular bleeding before menopause while on birth control was a sign of cancer! Fortunately I had a gyn who said, "Let's find out what is going on" then turned me over to a gynecologic oncologist when it was discovered after the D&C. (Like you, she tried to do the endometrial biopsy and she gave up)

Please let us know the results as we are here for you.