15 Years Post RP Detectable PSA

airborne72
airborne72 Member Posts: 302 Member
edited May 14 in Prostate Cancer #1

Submitted to a radical prostectomy in June 2009 after an initial PSA of 16.9 and a confirming biopsy. Total time lapse from detection to removal was less than 120 days. My PSA screening occurred regularly for several years post surgery and each result was undetectable - until now.

I'm an older veteran and have recently submitted a disability claim with the VA for Prostate Cancer as it is now covered by the 2022 Pact Act. Part of the VA claims process has included a blood test for PSA which was conducted on 4 Apr 24. The result was 0.04. The VA has subsequently ordered another blood test for PSA (conducted yesterday).

Am I being paranoid or should I be concerned? I put PC behind me during the summer of 2009 and have since dealt with short term incontinence but long term (permanent) impotence. The cancer became a bad memory, not a present issue. So I am now anxiously waiting the results from my second blood test. An anxiety that I haven't processed in over a decade.

Jim

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

Prior to the VA PSA test, when was your last one? How many years?

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited May 14 #3

Hi,

I had my Prostate removed in 2014 and my PSA has been less than .1 ever since(undectable). My doctor switched me over to a super sensitive test my last two readings were .05. Your test showed a .04, if it was me I would be happy. In my humble non medical opinion don't worry about the .04. but if your readings continue to increase over several readings, approaching .1+, then investigate it.

Dave 3+4

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

Yes, as the others have written, follow up with regular PSA tests to see if something is going on. Be sure to use the same facility and test.

• airborne72

Thank you for your quick responses. My PSA blood testing was frequent and steady for about three years after my RP. Conducted at same lab with same undetectable results. Other significant health issues soon presented themselves (three lumbar spinal fusions, persistent skin cancer on face, neck and scalp and a tough bout with rectal cancer) so my PC and PSA blood tests dropped in importance. I did get a non detectable PSA test in 2017, 2021 and 2023 but probably not from the same lab.

Within a few days I should have results from the blood draw that occurred two days ago. Same lab and apparently a super sensitive test since it detected a 0.04 level of PSA. We'll see.

Thanks.

Jim

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 389 Member

My PSA has been running .03 to .04 ng/ml for almost 6 years. I thought, "If your PSA level is low and not rising after repeated tests, it's probably not a cancer recurrence. That's because other cells in your body can produce small amounts of PSA. Ideally, your post-prostatectomy PSA will be undetectable, or less than 0.05 or 0.1 nanograms of PSA per milliliter of blood (ng/ml)." If that is true, it is my understanding that a PSA of .04ng/ml would be considered undetectable.

• airborne72

My logical brain agrees but my emotional brain doesn't always side with logic. Thanks for your input.

Jim