Father starting chemo after resection

sunshine92
sunshine92 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited May 22 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Looking for some insight as my Dad recently had a resection for a T2 colorectal tumor. It was removed successfully, however, traces were found in 4 out of 17 lymph nodes following the surgery. He is now going to be starting chemo and nervous for his quality of life. They’re looking to put him on FOLFOX, Oxaliplatin and Leucovorin for 12 rounds within 6 months. Is this an extensive amount? We’ve seen a lot of negative reviews of Oxaliplatin regarding neuropathy and wondering if there’s other options. While we know it is most likely specified to what they found, we just aren’t sure of what to think moving forward or the right questions for the doctor. He goes for his port this week, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 719 Member

If he still drives then port on right side is better. The seatbelt and port don't get along to well.

There are many studies that show 3months chemo as as good as 6 months. Research it.

Oxa is a drug that might or might not have any benefit. I have read papers stating the average is 3% overall efficacy. I would research that too and look for side effects to gauge if its working against the cancer or just poisoning your father.

Ask about oral xeloda inatead of a pump. Maybe try it to see. It so much easier and less stressful than the bag pump you lugg around and always have to be mindful of.

Hydration is key. Biolyte drink has electrolytes in a balanced form plu milk thistle (liver health) and vitamin C. Just a thought.

• sunshine92

thank you so much, all of this is super helpful!

• bangle
    bangle Member Posts: 15 Member

It sounds very similar to the treatment that I had. I also did that chemical cocktail and yes it can cause neuropathy, although mine didn't start until after the 8th round and after talking to my Onc he lowered the dose. It has been 4 months since my last treatment and I still have some in my feet at times but not always. I also had the pump (I called it my bomb) made a nice little bag for it. Night time was the only time I really thought much about it although I did get the tube caught on a drawer knob. I would suggest if he does the pump when they take it out to have a Gatorade or something like that for some reason that was the only time I struggled with feeling exhausted. It was almost like I had a withdrawal. The 12 sessions I made it through and worked but not everyone is that lucky. The best to you and dad, come here for advise and pick me up.

• sunshine92

thank you so much, glad to hear of your success!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member

I had Oxaliplatin 11 years ago, and I'm here to tell the tail. It is a harsh chemo, but then, chemo is harsh. Some folks do seem to breeze though treatment, but I doubt any come out the other side with a fair share of side effects.

Definitely have you dad keep an eye on the neuropathy; I didn't, and suffer to this day with it in my hands, feet and legs. BUT, I can live with it, because I am alive, and that makes me happy.

Positivity and a good attitude can go a long way. I wish your dad the best.

Tru - Stage IV and 11 years NED (No evidence of disease).

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 22 #7

like my name implies I took the oral pills and only had to take the ox on infusion once every three weeks I did this. You have a five times greater chance of more neuropathy damage going the whole six months of folfox infusion versus three months on pills. Despite that I still have some loss of feeling in my right foot. I can only imagine that it would be worse if I continued treatment and essentially doubled my exposure. The ox is annoying, but my uncle thought I should have it and so I did.. The thing my oncologist did point out was that people who have the pills at home sometimes skip doses or give themselves lower doses when they have side effects. They do and don’t tell their doctor. My oncologist says the only way she knows for sure what they are getting is if it’s in a bag and a nurse gives it to a patient sitting in a chair. not sure how your dad‘s willpower is, but if there is a threat he might not take the pills if he is feeling poorly, I would go with folfox in a bag