What effect does a dextrose IV solution have on a pre-chemo fasted state?

mattsims
mattsims Member Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I'm fasting to help with my chemo therapy (XELOX/CAPOX). My chemo drug is oxaliplatin, which is delivered in a dextrose (glucose) solution. What effect does intravenous delivery of glucose have on my fasted cellular state (eg. autophagy, etc.), as opposed to an oral intake of glucose? Does it wreck it just the same, or does skipping the whole GI tract / standard metabolism / liver make it different somehow?

The standard fasting protocol is 48 hours pre-chemo, and then 24 hours post-chemo. But if my bloodstream is being flooded with dextrose during the IV treatment, is there any benefit in the 24 hour post-fasting at that point?

The general idea is that being fasted puts your healthy cells into a starvation induced protective mode that reduces the harm from the chemo drug. But cancer cells don't have that same ability, so are left exposed to the drug. Fasting has also been shown to help with chemo side effects.

I would be grateful for any help from cellular metabolism nerds on this one! Cheers.

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 719 Member

Very good question!

I can't answer your question but have a question for you; How often is bloodwork done and how are your glucose levels with fasting before and after chemo.

Also. on another site, colontalk, someone had a different combo instead of dextrose. You might want to search there also.

• jill_currie1662
    jill_currie1662 Member Posts: 2 *

Did you ever get an answer to your question What effect does a dextrose IV solution have on a pre-chemo fasted state?

I have exactly the same question and cannot find an explanation either?

• mattsims

Hi Jill, unfortunately I didn't get much of an answer to the question from anyone. When I enquired with my chemo team they told me my drugs could only be provided in the dextrose base, I had no other option. So at that point I just resigned to it. I kept the fasting up post chemo for about 12 hours usually but didn't sweat it too much. Going in fasted seemed the most important part, and anecdotally I can say I think it helped.

7 rounds later my tumor was gone for what it's worth (4.5 cm in size). I put up a blog at cancerplan.org if you want to read more about my experience. I wish you strength as you get through chemo! 💪

Matt

• mattsims

Hey Snapdragon sorry I missed your comment last year, just saw it now. I was having bloodwork done pre-chemo (day before) but mostly to check for other markers not glucose. I bought a glucose monitor however when I was diagnosed and tracked it 3 times daily for over 6 months. I can tell you I got my glucose down to about 4.5-5 mml during pre-chemo fasting, and during non fasting periods I was running 5-6 generally with a close to ketogenic diet. Glucose control was high on my priorities and I got pretty good at maintaining a low weekly average and minimal spikes. Hope that helps.

• jill_currie1662
    jill_currie1662 Member Posts: 2 *

Hi Matt

thank you for your reply, I will check out your blog, are we the only two with the same question, doing the same regime!! It looks like it. 🤣

Jill Currie