Wilms Tumor Survivors

Witness
Witness Member Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2023 in Childhood Cancers #1

Hi, I am a Wilms Tumor survivor. Were any of you who survived Wilms Tumor as a child had a mother who was a smoker by chance?

Comments

• gmachine82883
    gmachine82883 Member Posts: 2 Member

Yes, both of my parents smoked for most of their adult lives. My father is also a Vietnam veteran who was exposed to agent orange while serving. Don't know if there's any connection to that but it has been discussed within my family as possibly being related to my cancer when I was three.

• Witness
    Witness Member Posts: 5 Member

My parents were born in the very early 1930's. My mother was a smoker & finally quite in her late 40's about 16 yrs after my birth. I was 2 1/2 yrs of age when it was discovered and treated for it for about 2 yrs. The cancer spread to my lung and the radiation they used caused a deformity. Not to mention the scar & CHEMO. There are some articles that suggest smoking can cause Wilms tumor as well as cleft pallets. There are so many toxic things that can cause birth defects including alcohol! I am at a point in life & have been at times in the past that I do not want to live anymore & regret ever being born in this stupid forsaken World.