39 oncotype.

grimcs24
grimcs24 Member Posts: 1 *
edited November 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice. I'm 52. Type 1 level 3 invasive breast cancer. Diagnosed in August, surgery in September and chemo beginning in 2 weeks. The tumor was very small, however, Oncotype score 39! I'm recommended radiation, plus endocrine treatment, and the strongest chemo option over the course of 5 months ( side effects) because of oncotype score! There's a lesser option as well, ( less side effects) 4 infusions over 4 months. I have to decide quickly if I want to do the strongest, or less strong but also viable option. Is 39 so HIGH?? THANKS!

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 109 Member

Hi, @grimcs24. I'm sorry for your reason to be here but welcome. Hopefully, wiser people will chime in here but here's some basic info on Oncotype - forgive me if it just repeats things you already know! (Since no one else has responded yet, I wanted to make sure you knew someone read your message and cares!)

So, the Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score Test is both a prognostic test, since it provides more information about how likely (or unlikely) the breast cancer is to come back, and a predictive test, since it predicts the likelihood of benefit from chemotherapy or radiation therapy treatment. Studies have shown that Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score Test is useful for both purposes. The Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score Test assigns a Recurrence Score — a number between 0 and 100 — to the early-stage breast cancer. Based on your age, you and your doctor can use the following ranges to interpret your results for early-stage invasive cancer.

For women older than 50 years of age:

Recurrence Score of 0-25: The cancer has a low risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy likely will not outweigh the risks of side effects.

Recurrence Score of 26-100: The cancer has a high risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy are likely to be greater than the risks of side effects.

For women age 50 and younger:

Recurrence Score of 0-15: The cancer has a low risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy likely will not outweigh the risks of side effects.

Recurrence Score of 16-20: The cancer has a low to medium risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy likely will not outweigh the risks of side effects.

Recurrence Score of 21-25: The cancer has a medium risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy are likely to be greater than the risks of side effects.

Recurrence Score of 26-100: The cancer has a high risk of recurrence. The benefits of chemotherapy are likely to be greater than the risks of side effects.

You and your doctor will consider the Recurrence Score in combination with other factors, such as the size and grade of the cancer and the number of hormone receptors the cancer cells have (many vs. few). Together, you can make a decision about whether or not you should have chemotherapy.

This was found at