Memory issues after chemo

sm012023
sm012023 Member Posts: 28 Member

Hi all,

I think my mother has been going through dementia. Either due to old age or the side effect of chemo. Her last chemo was in Feb 2023 but there has been a constant decline in her short term memory and increased restlessness since the chemo ended. Recently she had a bout of covid infection too. I am at a loss to handle her memory issues. Do you think she can get medications to help with this kind of restlessness -- every few seconds she wants to get up from her bed and go to the family room and again vice versa every few seconds. So we have blocked off her entry/exit beyond a certain area so that we cannot walk away. Right now, she has access to her room, bathroom and a family room and I watch her on a camera and see that every few seconds, she gets up and walks aimlessly in that area.

As far as her cancer treatment is concerned, in the next few weeks, she will be getting a radiation treatment.

Given the above scenario, I am at a loss to understand what I should be doing about her restlessness and short term memory issues. She had been a very talkative person but she has become suddenly very quiet -- maybe due to the memory or hearing issues. I have placed an order for new hearing aids too.

Has anyone else been through this kind of situation with your parents and if so, could you please let me know how you handled this? When I try to tell the oncologist, that this kind of memory issue and restlessness issue started only after chemo, I get directed to palliative care and there they just give me strong sleeping medicines and that's about it. And also the doctors tell me that she could be doing having dementia due to old age. My argument is that the issues started only after chemo. So it is a catch 22 phase here.

I would appreciate any inputs you may have for my mother. I have working full time and it has been a challenge managing her restlessness.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you so much

--RS

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    edited October 2023 #2

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your mum's issues. I can relate to the memory loss - which we fondly call Chemo Brain. But the restlessness is something new to me, thus not something I will be able to advise on.

How old is your mother? Not that dementia has an age limit, as sadly I have known people younger than myself, who have suffered from it.

Of course, while we can tell you that it COULD be Chemo Brain, it also could be dementia. Have you taken her to see her local GP? They may be more helpful than the Oncologist, who basically just speciialize in the Cancer treatment.

As your mum goes into Radiation, I must warn you, this can be really tough for some people. For me, it was 10 X worse than Chemo - and Chemo was NOT a walk in the park.

I hope you mum tolerates it well, but if she has dementia, it may be extra tough on her mental well being.

I wish mum all the best, and you also, as you take care of her.

Sorry the forum runs really slowly, and replies to your post may make you look elsewhere. I hope some of the members responds soon, who may have better advice than I do.

Keep us updated.

Tru