One week of radiation therapy

Lwilliams
Lwilliams Member Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Has anyone out there had just one week of radiation therapy for breast cancer rather than the normal 6 to 8 weeks of therapy ?

Comments

• CarrieF4
    CarrieF4 Member Posts: 18 Member

I had 4 weeks and was told that was a small amount compared to others but it probably depends on multiple factors. Ask the doctor

• thelazyaranch4
    thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member

I had radiation once a day for 4 weeks. I have a local recurrence and was told there is a possibility that I can be treated this time twice a day for 2-3 days instead. I’m not sure if it will be harder on my body or not though. I had fatigue the first time.

• kim845
    kim845 Member Posts: 2 *

I did the one week thing! Actually it’s like M-F plus the following Monday. It’s a protocol that MSK studied (via European studies) to see if they would implement it during COVID days. Although it’s less time, the side effects are the same. It’s a lot of radiation in a short time. That said, I would pick it again.

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 122 Member

Is the 4-6 weeks rad treatment normal following lumpectomy or is the 1-2 week regime normal. Asking incase surgeon says I can have a lumpectomy after chemotherapy treatments first to try and shrink the tumor. I will have another MRI towards the end of my chemotherapy treatments to see how much it has shrunk.

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 122 Member

I'll also be getting additional Herceptin and Perjeta treatments after surgery. How common is it to receive taegeted chemo and radiation at the same time?

• Lwilliams
    Lwilliams Member Posts: 3 Member

What side effects , if any, did you experience with the one week radiation therapy ?

• thelazyaranch4
    thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member

I was just informed that I will be doing radiation twice a day, 5 hours apart for three weeks. This is for a local recurrence in the same area that had radiation previously in march. I was told this is easier on the body than the full dose once a day and it is near the nerves in my arm. If the drive wasn’t an hour each way it would make things easier and much less expensive!!