Psa went up

ldduck1968
ldduck1968 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hello. 55 yr old male no health issues. Last year my PSA was .5. This year it went up to .9. I have an appointment with doctor in 3 weeks. Should I be worried? Honestly, I am very worried. Am I over reacting? It was .5 for many years since I started doing psa test.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

Too early to be worried. There has to be a trend, so keep testing your PSA. Be sure to use the same lab and refrain from sex and bike riding for a few days prior to the test. A urinary tract infection can also raise PSA.

I have a feeling your doctor is going to tell you the same thing. Ask him to do a Digital Rectal Exam (DRE).

Best wishes!

• ldduck1968

Thank you so much for responding. I did have sex with my wife 12 hours before. Could that have made it jump .4? So what you are saying psa has to go up on more than just one test correct?

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2023 #4

Hi,

In my case the doctor did not get excited until my PSA rose above 4, sounds like you have a long way to go. As Old Salt said riding a bike or having sex before your PSA test can cause an artificial spike in your PSA. An enlarged prostate(BPH) sill also inflate your PSA, keep monitoring and hope for the best.

Dave 3+4

• ldduck1968

Thank you for your response guys.

• ldduck1968

Guys another question. I apologize if is it is personal or offensive. No need to answer. Does on get erectile dysfunction after treatments?

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

ED due to treatment is a valid topic and discussed frequently on forums such as this one.

There are a lot of variables that play an important role. One is age. Another one is the kind of therapy that was used. For instance, ED outcomes tend to be better with radiation therapies. Androgen Deprivation Therapy will knock your interest in sex way down. Sometimes ED will result, but again, this is dependent on a lot of factors.

In order to get a more specific answer, you need to be more specific to begin with.