PSA went up in two years

anxious_psa
anxious_psa Member Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hi friends,

My PSA went up from 2.2 to 4.2 in two years, I am 49. My % free PSA was 14% and now is 17%, so this metric went in the right direction. Any suggestions? I am of course concerned and will be working with my physicians for more tests. Hope a biopsy is not needed.

Comments

• JP63
    JP63 Member Posts: 37 Member

There are other tests …..4K score and others….imaging…3T MRI…..

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,147 Member

Hi,

I would think more tests will happen like an MRI or PET scan. If suspects areas show up on the scan then that would probably call for a Biopsy. Your PSA rise could also be caused by BPH(benign prostate hyperplasia) which your Urologist should be able determine. Biopsies are not that bad, I had mine with no infections after and very little discomfort both during and after. You might pee a little blood for a few days but that will also go away. The only way they can determine if you have cancer is by a biopsy.

Dave 3+4

• anxious_psa
    anxious_psa Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks for your comments. Did anyone ever felt anything around the prostate before getting diagnosed? I sometimes "feel the prostate area" and have a sensation in the region, hard to describe, but something like a mild sensation, its not discomforting at all, just that you are aware of that area in the body, so to speak. Anyone have experience with prostatitis?

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 164 Member

As Dave said, biopsy is the only way you'll confirm PCa. My initial MRI showed nothing. PSA kept going up so, I had a biopsy confirmed PCa. Even biopsy can miss tumor so, they don't 100% tell you that you don't have cancer. If your PSA is rising, you'll want to stay on top of it. Might not be PCa but, it's better to find out early if it is.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    edited July 2023 #6

Prostatitis is a possibility and should be considered. It's relatively easy to test for; just ask your primary caretaker.

PS: Prostatitis is usually indicated by a sudden rise in PSA. Your pattern doesn't look like that.