Laryngectomy

Options
lalisah
lalisah Member Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I am about to undergo surgery for a full laryngectomy and am interested in connecting with others who have had this surgery and cancer of the larynx.

Gracias!

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,277 Member
    Options

lal hello and welcome to the forum, and as usual sorry you have to be here.

I recommend you contact wmc who is on this forum by private messaging him his name is Bill.

Here is a link to a forum post where they are discussing laryngectomy and vocal cord issues.

At the bottom of the discussion, wmc is the last one click on his picture and the click message.

He had a full laryngectomy and runs a couple of laryngectomy support groups and is always glad to help others.

Also here is a link to a laryngectomy web site called web whispers,m you may get help there.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• wbcgaruss
    edited October 2022 #3
    Options

I am posting a follow-up to my posting above In reference to wmc on the forum, Bill by name I had mentioned that he had a laryngectomy and was always glad to help- others.

This morning I remembered I had a link saved to his Facebook page and was going to PM it to lalisah in the original posting.

Upon accessing Bill's Facebook page I sadly learned that Bill had passed on November 1, 2021. So it is with great sadness that I post this.

wmc-Bill 2-08-1951 --11-01-2021

Below are a couple of comments from folks on his Facebook page--

Bill published numerous YouTube videos for Larys that showed that pretty much anything is still possible. He invented and documented numerous gadgets for Larys to use to make their lives better. He wrote documents used in hospitals by medical professionals to educate them for the special needs of laryngectomees, and to prevent injuries to laryngectomees due to ignorance or lack of experience.

Bill put his heart into helping all. May he now rest in peace.

PJ Jordan

He is missed so much in our group

Preston

You were such a blessing to so many of us Lary's and caregivers. The Macgyver of lary's. I'm praying for your family and everyone of us that you touched in one way or another. Thank you and I know you're enjoying heaven. Seeing everyone that went before you, tell my husband I miss him so much. You will be missed, but never forgotten. Rest in peace our friend.

Shellie

My Dear Friend and Confidant, you have Blessed so many People in Your Life, not only with Laryngectomee advice but with Life Advice as a Good Friend. You knew a little bit about everything and helped educate me and I’m sure others on a lot of things in this world.

You had a lot of bodily problems but never allowed them to stop you from interacting with the People who needed you the most and were passionate about all things you dove into.

You will be sorely missed. People like you are 1 in a million!

I know that a you have been delivered safely into to arms of Jesus and meeting up with your family and friends already there.

My Condolences to You Wife, Children and Grandchildren, and other Earthly Family and Friends You were so Proud of. I know how Blessed a you were.

I’ll be Praying for Everyone for Peace. I know it will take time. God Bless You all in this very sad time as You say goodbye to Bill.

Jewell

Now 5-6-22 finding out of your passing.

Rest in Peace my friend.

You truly were respected and thought of as a loyal friend. For your Goodness Bill Cross you will always be remembered.

John

• Kristy
    • A very special man. His advice on so many things are my way of life now. Bill will never be forgotten.
    • Jane
    • I am still struggling to accept he's gone. He saved my sanity so many times in the first couple of years. I doubt we'd have got through it without him. As the carer, I wanted to throw in the towel so many times. He jumped in every time with his words of wisdom, which helped so much.
    • To put it in Aussie terms, he was "a bloody good bloke". One of a kind. He'll always be missed in the lary community.
    • Mike
    • Does anyone know what happened. OMG I just found out. When I became a Lary I had so many questions. And walked through every bit of it. I know I will never forget him!!!!
    • John
    • Now 5-6-22 finding out of your passing.
    • Rest in Peace my friend.

You truly were respected and thought of as a loyal friend. For your Goodness Bill Cross you will always be remembered.

Bill, you are greatly missed-rest in peace-Russ

• wolfsurvivor
    wolfsurvivor Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Sorry for your diagnosis, I had that surgery in Aug 2020. What specifically do you want to know? I can try to help you anyway I can.

• lalisah
    Options

I am located in Oregon and connecting with the single Nu Voice club in the state.

I truly appreciate the welcome and yes—what an awful way to meet—but happy to have some compañeros for this adventure.

Best,

-Lisa.

• Thomas2112
    Thomas2112 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello, My name is Thomas. Complete Laryngectomy operation 12/28/21. Semi retired Guitarist ( I still play for myself). I was a singer/ songwriter as well... those days are done.

I am just horribly sad, depressed and worst of all lonely. I have lost almost all of my friends; they have just moved on.

I am on Facebook as Thomas McConville, Huntington Beach CA. I am the long blond haired surfer looking guy with all kinds of guitars on my Page.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and maybe meet some

people like me...

Thank you for your time, I hope someone will get this!

Thomas

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Hello Thomas, and welcome to the CSN H&N forum/discussion board.

I am so glad you made it through your laryngectomy and are apparently doing well a year and a half out from it.

There was a fellow on here that had a total laryngectomy like you and he ran a support group and was always ready to help anyone. A very positive guy, like you. Unfortunately, he passed away in November of 2021. But the good news is you can search his past posts on here. Here is a link to his profile page. https://csn.cancer.org/profile/discussions/wmc

Bill was from Visalia, California

Also, the good news is Bill or wmc as he was known on here shared information and I have some I keep to help others like you. I know Bill always mentioned a site called WebWhispers a site for laryngectomees.

WebWhispers--

https://webwhispers.org/

WebWhispers was started in 1996 for those who had questions about larynx cancer treatments, surgery, recovery, and what life is like after laryngectomy surgery. We are now the largest support group for individual laryngectomee survivors of larynx and other throat cancers. We offer advice from those who have been there and education at the time it is needed. Our membership is composed of patients, caregivers, medical professionals and suppliers. Come join us in order to use our full facilities. It’s free to join and no dues to pay.

Also, Bill had a YouTube channel and it is still available and may be helpful to you--

William Cross

https://csn.cancer.org/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2F%2540wmcross51%2Fvideos

Videos to help Laryngectomies

Believe me Thomas I know it's tough going through this H&N treatment and coming out the other side many times working up a new pathway to travel. Just don't hold back and restrict yourself, try anything and reach out to people and you will get some friends eventually and they will be good ones.

Also, I am usually around you can feel free to private message me if you need someone to talk to. After all, we are all in the same general boat together with many of us having speech, swallowing, breathing issues, etc.

Send Private Message to Another CSN Member

Click on the members name on the post to the left side which is either by itself or underneath their picture.

This will take you to their member page.

Click on “Message” in the upper right

Type your message and click post message.

Offical Site Instructions for Private Messaging Other CSN Members

Registered CSN members may send and receive private messages from other users through the CSN internal messaging system. The system allows members to contact each other directly while protecting their actual email address. Messages can be accessed by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right corner of each page.

There are two ways to send a new message:

• Log into your CSN account. Click the envelope icon in the upper right corner of the page.
    • A pop-up box will appear with any new messages. Click on the pencil icon in the upper right corner of the pop-up box.
    • This will direct you to the New Message page. Type the username of the member you wish to contact in the Recipient field. You can add multiple usernames if you are sending a message to multiple people. This will create a group conversation that all recipients can participate in. 
    • Type the content of your message. Once you are done, click ‘Post Message’.
    • The second way to send a message is to go to the member’s profile page. Then click Message.

I am so sorry your friends and family have faded away from you but it is a common occurrence with cancer and it seems more so with Head and Neck Cancer. People have trouble dealing with it and maybe it scares them a little. Here's the good news if you have a friend that stayed and is your supporter they are the gold to keep.

How does cancer affect friendships?

Cancer can change many things in your life, including your friendships. You will probably notice that some friends stop spending as much time with you. Others might become even closer. You might also make new friends during your cancer treatment.

Here is a video that may help with people talking about post treatment-Lost in Transition

Our motto on here is NEGU (Never Ever Give Up) and that goes for existing friends and if you need to find some new friends then keep moving forward and don't stop and never give up.

Whatever you do Thomas keep active and friendly and things will come your way. And Never Ever Give Up.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

Hold on whatever you do--

• lalisah
    Options

Hey, Thomas.

I feel you. I’ll be a year out from my surgery in November. If you want to chat outside the forum, I’d be up for that. Feeling pretty isolated myself. I moved from my home state of 30+ years to a new climate and got cancer all at once. I don’t really have friends in my new location.

Drop me a line @ lalisah@yahoo.com if you like.

Best,

-Lisa.