Head and Neck Cancer Patients Share Their Stories

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,443 Member
edited June 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Here is a short video from a fellow who was diagnosed, he says with throat cancer, tumor base of tongue, with lymph node involvement. They told him his new job for the next year is to fight throat cancer.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWYqirykEzM

Comments

• Imjim
    Imjim Member Posts: 3 Member

Things I did when I had cancer.

1. Had fun with the staff;
    2. Never felt sorry for me;
    3. Did feel sorry for the people who knew and cared about me;
    4. Worried about telling my Dad I had cancer;
    5. Always talked to other patients to ease their concerns. Especially those new in the infusion center.
    6. Asked about their type of cancer and let them explain;
    7. Listened;
    8. Changed topics so we could discuss things we liked;
    9. Slept a LOT! I mean A LOT! Up at 6:00 am but may be to bed by 2:00 pm;
    10. Got Skinny. I was fat and now I'm not.
    11. Complained to the nurses that the Doctors were too worried about my weight loss;
    12. Towards the end of my treatment I wore heavy leather boots, two shirts and loaded my pockets at weigh in. Don't know if the techs or nurses ever told the doctors but I suspect they did. Suckers! I didn't pee before weigh in either.

• wbcgaruss

Hey, Jim, thanks for sharing your "Things I did when I had cancer" list with us, appreciated.

• Imjim
    Imjim Member Posts: 3 Member

Thanks Russ,

It's not fun having cancer but that doesn't mean you can't make new friends while you're in the neighborhood.

I spent considerable time writing a response that I deemed negative and finally threw it in the trash. This is not a place to bleed my losses. What people with cancer should know is that you can survive. It may not be an easy task and the treatments may push you to the limits of your life.

I am here to say it pushed me and I decided to stay.

Jim

• wbcgaruss

Jim, thanks for sharing.

There is no doubt this treatment and having cancer push us to our limits. I also feel that once you have had cancer you are never quite the same though it may be internal you are never quite the same. It goes to your core and tests your limits more than anything we have ever experienced.

I am glad for you and others on here that you fought the beast and won.