How did you get your energy back?

Options
loloALB
loloALB Member Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

"I finished my treatment back in December of last year, but I still haven't been able to regain my energy. I have no desire to do anything at all, and my life feels like a never-ending cycle of procrastination.

In December of 2021, I found out that I had cancer with five masses in my breast. In the first month, I froze my eggs. The surgery affected me psychologically as I woke up in the middle of it and scream, and the next day I had a sentinel node biopsy to determine whether the tumor had spread to my lymph nodes, which I have very bad a scar didn't heal till today. Two days later, I started 16 sessions of chemotherapy, followed by a very difficult surgery for removal and reconstruction which I am not satisfied with the result at all. A month later, I underwent 24 radiation sessions, and it was so a bad experience that ended on November 20th, 2022.

I feel like I should now resume my activities, study, and succeed in my work, but I can't. I have no desire to do anything, especially since I was so strong during my treatment. I didn't cry much or express my feelings even though I was taking weekly therapy, and I was always working, taking very few breaks due to exhaustion and illness. Now, I feel like I've taken on more than I should have, and I should have allowed myself to be tired and break down.

I would be very grateful for any advice that could help me in the present moment. Thank you to whoever reads my message."

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

loloALB, I just want you to know I read your message. I just had bilateral mastectomy May 11th and I'm utterly exhausted.

I know I have had experiences with therapy that were positive and some that were negative (i.e. that I don't feel really helped). Would it be worth trying again with someone different?

I wish you all the best!

• loloALB
    Options

hi LovesPrimes,

so Sorry to hear about it, yes i encourage you to try again with the therapy , cancer experience is so difficult in all level and it is become harder without support, I had weekly therapy session which enable me at least to express my anger from the treatment

• Tamiann
    Tamiann Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

@loloALB You have been through a great deal, and the fatigue and... dare I say apathy??... is completely normal. I did the same thing - stayed strong, kept working, didn't allow myself to cave in (too much, anyway) to the fight. It finally caught up to me about a month after I finished radiation, and I found myself exhausted for about 6 weeks after.

It helped to get out and walk, even though I didn't feel like it. AND, I hate to say it, but it also helped to force myself to get back to my life even though I wanted to crawl into a corner and stay there for a week.

Hang in there... what you are dealing with is normal. I would continue your therapy, for sure - the venting and letting out of the emotions is important. As for the physical side, your body will reciprocate if you demand more, so start with slow, short walks. If needed, just go outside and sit in the fresh air for a bit. "Outdoor Therapy" actually does work.

Best wishes... hang in there... we're all rooting for you.

• loloALB
    Options