Razors and Shaving

BertChen
BertChen Member Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

There were some older posts on the topic of Razors and Shaving, but anyone have recent experience?

Electric razors really never worked for my skin type; but if you've found a product that helped you along this journey please let me know.

I can't seem to get past 5 days of growth without it driving me crazy...

I start Rad May 1st, 2023 and Chemo on May 3rd...

Thanks

Bert

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,273 Member

Well, Bert I have used an electric shaver for years but if that doesn't work for you I would continue on with whatever tried and true method that works for you. As far as I know, there are many varieties of shavers out there and blades also. So there is either shaving cream and a blade, or an electric blade of different brands available. I did a little research and found there is also laser beard removal as an option.

And this medical news today article lists 6 more ways to remove beards plus laser.

I hope this helps widen our view a bit.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

• BertChen
    BertChen Member Posts: 20 Member

Thank you.

I'm not sure either of those website options are suitable for me this close to my start date though.

But I do appreciate you finding those, especially so quickly.

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member

I was always a manual shaver as well until my treatment. Once my skin recovered enough from the neck dissection and again after the radiation burning, I started using a Braun Series 9. It is a little spendy but has worked for me. My neck is "dead" from the radiation on my one side so I've been nervous about going back to a regular razor. The Braun 9 has worked quite well for me.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member

In year 6 post. Shaving remains an issue, but not a serious one, more an aggravation than a problem. I used a Braun for a while, switched to razor, switched back, switched... About a year ago I said forget it and stopped shaving, that lasted a week. Today I could use a shave, been maybe four days. Probably use a razor. The problem is the radiation damaged area. Not big or serious, but after shaving it's sensitive and dry, so I oil up, which is aggravating.

So, view from year six is it's a feature now. Could be worse. If I would warn on anything it would be sun exposure on the damaged skin. That gets toasted very quickly.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,273 Member

AnotherSurvivor, I am having no problems shaving and I use an electric Wahl shaver. I think I like it better than any other I have previously owned.

What I noticed was your last comment on sun exposure.

I was told by my radiation nurse in the preliminaries before I ever got any radiation that I should cover any areas that were radiated when out in the sun for the rest of my life. They tell you that can be done by using a large-brimmed gardening-type hat and a handkerchief around your neck, either or both depending on your case. As you have noticed it affects your skin very quickly and I believe she said a person is more likely to develop skin cancer in a previously radiated area if exposed to the sun.

In fact, I found this on the net--from the American Academy of Dermatology

Protect the treated area from the sun.

Anyone who has had radiation treatments has a higher risk of developing skin cancer in that area. Skin cancer tends to show up many years later, so this makes sun protection essential for life.

Here is a link to the information--

Take Care, God Bless-Russ