Lumpectomy & Radiation

Feather96
Feather96 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello,

Newly diagnosed with stage 1 invasive carcinoma in one breast. I have ALOT of questions but wanted to know about having radiation before or after reconstruction/lift surgery.

They recommend I have the lumpectomy and at same time reconstruction/lift. Once healed then radiation. Everything I have read says radiation then R&L. I still have not made up my mind as to lumpectomy or double mastectomy but wanted some feedback. Everything is still so confusing and no confirmative answers just alot of waiting. I go for second MRI/biopsy on 26th for a second spot they found so it could all change from there.

Thank you for any advice or experience you want to share

Comments

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member

Hi Feather96. I had same ca as u except I had a second ca in the same breast was dci. I opted for lumpectomy with no reconstruction, so had rads after surgery. My oncotype score was only 12 so I felt confident with lumpectomy. I also had genetic testing and carried no genes for anything. I took Exemestane for 5 years to kill my hormones and will b a six year survivor soon. I hope your treatment goes smooth as silk. God bless. Cecelia

• Feather96

Hello

Thank you for responding and thats great to hear....

Gives me hope and strength...

I feel embarrassed like I should know this but oncotype? I've heard quite a bit from so many doctors but have not heard that yet. Is this something I should be aware of at this stage of my journey? I have gone for second opinion and felt rushed etc so now I'm really feeling insecure about it all.

I still have second biopsy on Thursday so that could why I dont have that information.

I will be looking it up now though...lol

Thank you so much for the information and they have advised hormone therapy after as well so ty for sharing...

• Feather96

Hello

Thank you for responding and thats great to hear....

Gives me hope and strength...

I feel embarrassed like I should know this but oncotype? I've heard quite a bit from so many doctors but have not heard that yet. Is this something I should be aware of at this stage of my journey? I have gone for second opinion and felt rushed etc so now I'm really feeling insecure about it all.

I still have second biopsy on Thursday so that could why I dont have that information.

I will be looking it up now though...lol

Thank you so much for the information and they have advised hormone therapy after as well so ty for sharing...

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member

Hi there, with my experience, after the surgery they sent sample off and oncotype was an indicator of the chances of it coming back, so I scored a 12 out of 100 % chance. Hope this helps-Cecelia

• Bearsy72
    Bearsy72 Member Posts: 10 Member

I was Stage 1A Invasive / Malignant / Metastatic / Ductal Carcinoma. My Cancer Surgeon only did Lumpectomy + 2 Lymph Nodes Removed with Only Low Dose Radiation & No Chemo. My Cancer Surgeon said she would Not Remove my Breasts even if it did Spread. She Left Both Breasts and 6 Months Out from Lumpectomy on Right Breast I had a Rapidly growing Half Dollar size tumor on Left Breadt. She did a Lumpectomy and No Treatment & I still have Both Breasts.

• Bearsy72

I could Not take Any hormone blocking therapies. Tamoxifen I Rapidly gained 15-20 pounds in 2 Months. Anastrozole I had Severe Pain and Couldn’t get Out of Bed.

• Tamiann
    Tamiann Member Posts: 23 Member

I was stage 1A, ER & PR+, HER2-. I had a lumpectomy in December, and my surgeon did the lumpectomy and breast conservation surgery at the same time with outstanding results. I had radiation in February, and now am dealing with lymphedema and a recurring seroma, but these are both responding to therapy and becoming less of an issue now. I am also on Tamoxifen, with almost no side effects (occasional night sweats and hot flashes, irregular menstrual cycle).

My understanding is that the oncotype is done with the lumpectomy/masectomy, and it is a more detailed genetic test that will give your doctors the likelihood of your cancer recurring. The oncologist (and radiology oncologist, if applicable) will use this information to help determine your long term plan. It took about a month after my surgery for the results to come back. Also, I didn't hear about the oncotype test until AFTER my surgery, so it probably hasn't come up in your consults yet.

• Bearsy72

I had 1A w/ Both Hormones feeding my Cancer as Well. They said Mine did Not Spread / Despite being in me for 2 Years and Metastatic Type Tumor with Extremely Severe Pain that the First Hospital Totally Ignored and Missed Finding my Cancer in my Mammogram and my Onco Score was Low and Next Hospital Tested my Tumor to See if I Needed Chemo which was a $4,000 Test that my Private Insurance would Not Cover. The Lab wrote it Off because my Cancer was During the First 2 Years of COVID and I Financially Could Barely Pay for All my Surgeries and Treatments. Just 6 Months Out from my Cancer on RT side I had Rapidly Growing Tumor on Left Side which was also fed 100% by ER / Ovaries. They still Left both Breasts and I Now have Severe Lymphedema on Both Sides from Damage to Lymph during Multiple Surgeries.

• Bearsy72

I Begged my Cancer Surgeon to Take 1 or Both of my Breasts and She Told me that She Would Not Even Do that even if my Cancer had Spread. My Sister and All 6-7 of my Aunts On Dads side the Drs All left Both Breasts on till it was Terminal Cancer and Only Then did they take their Breasts. My Sister had 2A Staging with 6-7 Tumors in Lymph nodes Directly tied to Breasts and they Still Left them on. She had Rad and Chemo and Thanks to God is a 21 year Survivor this Year!

• Bearsy72

All of my Cancer Drs told me BC and All Female Cancers can Also come from Dad’s Side.

• BrightBird33
    BrightBird33 Member Posts: 1 *

Have Stage 1 Invasive Breast cancer discovered on ultrasound, confirmed by mammography and MRI. Also have PASH on other side of same breast. Am studying my alternatives--they have left it up to me. Will meet with surgeon in 2 weeks, and radiation oncologist and oncologist who prescribes hormone therapy. It is very complex. Radiation is supposed to keep it from coming back in the same spot. Hormone therapy attacks the hormones that feed it as well as feed other possible future sites anywhere in the body, so think I am going to take hormones but which one is difficult to decide. I have DISH which is diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis so I have bone spurs in my thoracic spine and many other places as well. Don't know it will be affected?? Am also worried about my heart, blood clots and what anything might do to the PASH left in my breast on the other side. Does anyone know about these??