Life after Cancer

G_RD
G_RD Member Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Leukemia #1

How are some ways you guys have coped after Cancer? I don't really know how to live my life now. It's been really hard to get back into just living my life normally. I feel like I'm not the same person anymore:( I guess I never really processed any of it til now.

Comments

• Engineerguy
    Engineerguy Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2023 #2

Hello. I was still in high school when I went through my cancer, so school was enough to distract, I guess. My experience with survivorship is to be open to anyone that has questions about your journey. Reach out to friends and family to spend time with them, stay with your hobbies. You aren’t the same person as when you went in, but accepting what you’ve been through and seeing this a second chance, be true to yourself and enjoy life. Not to distract, feel the feels, talk about them, seek counseling even, but to live life.

• DeliverinWhoopins
    DeliverinWhoopins Member Posts: 2 Member

After my transplant it took a few years to realize who I was. The best way to describe it is, I was lost… Looking for myself. For so long I had to change my life in order to recover.

I took up different hobbies thinking this is me now but in reality I’m still that same person just mentally stronger now.

I suggest you get back into whatever made you happy before your transplant.

Stay strong 🦾🦾

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,465 Member

Well, I have developed the attitude that I do not want to go back to my former life. Why is that? Looking forward from my former life was....cancer. Rather, I chose to pick up the pieces, realize that just as I am not a teenager or even middle-aged anymore, I seek peace within my limitations. I believe that each day, regardless of what it contains, is a blessing. On good days, I wish for more hours, and on bad, give thanks that they are no more than 24 hours.

In a life process which makes far more sense in retrospect, I was spiritually prepared even before cancer. I chose old-fashioned faith. I was prepared to exit this life, but when I made that decision, my life was mysteriously and miraculously given back to me. Since 2008, four cancers: One lymphoma three times, another twice, a marrow cancer once, a skin cancer once, and a stem-cell transplant. So far.

It is a matter of perspective.

• JSmith72
    JSmith72 Member Posts: 1 *

I am 5 years cancer free and I still struggle with this. I find myself missing some parts of the precancer me and wish I could have those parts back and I find that I like some of the new me but I’m struggling to find myself still and who this new me is supposed to be.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,465 Member

Sorry to hear this. It is a life-changer. However, the way I see it is: I do not want to go back, as the "pre-cancer me" had cancer in its future. I will take what I now have and move forward. I went places, met people, had experiences, had opportunities, and witnessed human goodness that I would never have seen without cancer. I participated in four clinical trials which helped to introduce new and more effective therapies that future generations will benefit from. Viewed from that aspect, cancer became a blessing. i am now much more aware of the gift of life and more grateful for something as simple as waking up. Having a cup of coffee, of loving family and of being loved. Remembering those who did not survive, thinking of the many who are worse off than I am helps me to put it into perspective. Nothing is guaranteed, our expectations may be seldom realized, but if we take stock of what we still possess, we are not faring as badly as we might think. Some advice or counsel from a friend, loved one or even a professional might also help - we need to get outside of ourselves to experience the fullness of recovery.

• Tkepz
    Tkepz Member Posts: 4 Member

G_RD - I am in the exact same boat right now. I finished treatment in March and am struggling to find my place and settle into my new normals. I hope you’re finding peace! Open to chatting anytime.

• alongcamemary13
    alongcamemary13 Member Posts: 2 Member

Thank you so much for sharing was just diagnosed on 11/28/23 and still in shock /denial this made me cry 😢 but also give me hope .