First week partial robotic had 3/07/23

jjcook0817
jjcook0817 Member Posts: 4 *
edited March 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

hi im Jane today is the one week mark of the day I had robotic partial nephrectomy I can’t help but notice this yucky taste in my mouth. Has anybody experienced that? I go for post op appt. On the 20 th I’m 61. What is to be expected? Thank you

Comments

• dante8701
    dante8701 Member Posts: 10 Member

Haven't had my surgery yet but I wanted to wish you well.

• jjcook0817

Good luck first 5 days are the worst. Very weak. Just started to be able to get out of bed by myself without having somebody to raise up my back. I don’t like to take pain meds at all but trust me take them we will need them. I got off of them as of yesterday and I’m doing fine without them now you’ll also find that none of your food that you loved. taste as good as it did before, so I’m hoping that comes back really soon.

• dante8701
    edited March 2023 #4

Weird. How are! You, I mean emotionally?

• jjcook0817

When I first found out, I admit I was. it’s emotional

just hearing the word cancer and then you read everything on the Internet what you know and I know that you’re never supposed to do.

but after you get home, and you already had the surgery, those feelings, go away the sadness the moodiness it goes away, and it’s just you become very thankful for the help you have i’m extremely exhausted. My nights and days are mixed up, but it’s something we got to go through and luckily what we got. It’s not as bad as some of others. My anticipation is the doctor on the 20th to tell me what kind of cancer it was. They can tell you now but it’s not for certain until they sent it off to pathologist. And then comes the scans afterwards. They caught yours really small, so I’m sure that you’re going to be totally fine. Mine was a little bigger. We just got to be positive buddy.

• dante8701

I really needed to hear that. I am so looking forward to anything tangible to hold on to and to plant a seed of hope.

Thank you, sincerely.

Keep us posted and best wishes.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

I had a robotic partial in 2016. Don’t remember a funny taste in my mouth, nor did I have a lot of pain, but I was comparing the pain from the partial to the pain from a couple of open abdominal surgeries 12 and 6 years before. What I did notice was a feeling of numbness in my right hip (the side they operated on) and that lasted for months. At my first post-op appointment with the surgeon, I asked him why he hit my hip with a baseball bat…..got no reaction. Yeah, surgeons don’t seem really big on humor.

• jjcook0817

Pain was only bad for 5 days. Soreness is another thing. Just feels like something is in my tummy. Can’t bed over. But hey it’s only been a week. The taste on mouth is yucky. I’ve had other people tell me they had it for 6 months. I hope not. I’m very energetic. I hate that I can’t just bounce right back. But again it’s only a week. I’ll get there. ( luckily my surgeon has a since a humor) he better with me. Lol find out Monday the scoop on cancer etc. with swollen lol I hope I can wear jeans by then. Lol.