New to this

Kay_Gibson
Kay_Gibson Member Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I was diagnosed two months ago. Am awaiting treatment. Chemo, surgery, radiation, and follow-up medication. I am the caregiver for my disabled husband, an elderly dog, a one-year old pup, and a needy cat. I have no support system. Our son is autistic and doesn't have a car so he can't get here to help. Our daughter, a nurse practioner, lives an hour away but hasn't talked to us in 11 years. I need to know what to expect and where I can get help. We make our bills, but aren't made of money so resources to hire in help are limited. Just how sick can I expect to be with chemo? What effects will the medication have on me?

Comments

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member

Every persons journey is different. I would start by talking to my regular doctor who should be able to tell you of all help available to you through your insurance. I would also check with any community programs if needed. Also speak to your cancer team as they could be an additional resource to any local programs if needed. Hope this helps to start with and hope your treatment goes smooth as silk.

• Kay_Gibson

Thanks. My regular doctor is on medical leave. My insurance provides nothing. Community program, I may be able to get meals for me but that doesn't cook for my husband. We will get some minimal help with housekeeping from his insurance but his is going to be a long haul and I don't know just how sick I will be or what I will be able to do. I worry about daily care for my husband and the pets. Getting meals if I am too sick.

• melitza14
    melitza14 Member Posts: 6 Member

There's definitely resources out there. What state are you in?

• Kay_Gibson

Rhode Island

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member

another thought have you talked to a social worker at your cancer care center? There is also a lookup function in the menu on this website to see if any programs in your area. Hope this helps. God bless

• Kay_Gibson

I already talked to the social worker and she gave me a list I have to contact and pay for on my own. I will take a look at the lookup function and see what I find there.

• jenzed
    jenzed Member Posts: 6 Member

I can't seem to post links yet, but it looks like Rhode Island offers TDI (Temp Disability Insurance), I would also recommend applying for FMLA if you are currently working to protect your job for some time. Also, I just found out that at least in CA, you can apply both for state and federal disability at the same time. Federal takes a long time, so I would recommend applying now. (I waited far too long, so I'll def have a lapse). Also, don't forget about gofundme

I want to acknowledge that your situation sounds really hard, and dealing with all of the life stuff on top of the cancer stuff sucks. This might be a tough season, but as we all know, seasons change.

• Kay_Gibson

I'm retired so income is not a problem. We make the bills but don't have money to burn as we went down to one car this past year and have several major projects on the house that will need to be done in the next few years. My concern is that my husband and the pets be taken care of if I can't and we have no one to step in and help out. One child can't and the other refuses to. We pay for help with yard work already and now we may have to hire in help with housework.