Medicare and Cancer

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited February 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I turn 65 this year and I have started making my way through the Medicare maze (for those of you in the US) and I was wondering if anyone has advice about the best way to get coverage for a potential recurrence of cancer? So far, a Medicap G plan seems the best, but with the Part D, most exclude chemo drugs, so is a Medicare Advantage plan better? I would appreciate any advice or experiences. Thank you.

Comments

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,289 Member

Hey Sandia, I'm 65 in May, but I took SSDI a couple years back, so I'm already enrolled. In Cali, Kaiser Foundation Health Care gets highest grades consistently, though most things are in house/system, the costs are very low with Medicare Plus Coverage. Every co-pay dropped, out of pocket all but disappeared. It's free with Part B costing the $140+ per month, or however that works. Part D drugs were half what they charged before. Nothing is cheaper, and faster then their decision making. I had CTs followed by PET's, without delay every 3 months for years, and I've heard the struggles here to get a PET scan, with other insurances. Knowing you like where you are, I just mention this coverage as a way to measure what you can get there. They also pay for out-of-system treatments, and many things they don't offer, in terms of cutting edge treatments. I hope you can find as good a deal for an 'advantage' program..................................Dave