NavDX positive test

Options

Comments

• JohnVon
    JohnVon Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I feel like waiting until cancer cells are in a tumor state and show up on a scan is way too late

• JohnVon
    Options

Hello. Yes my insurance paid for it. My ENT had it readily available in the office.

• LuvnTN
    LuvnTN Member Posts: 75 Member
    Options

The NavDX is like the M1A1 tank when it first came out. The M1A1 was so much more sophisticated and advanced in performance that it raced out ahead of all of the older-tech vehicles in the Army. The problem with it was that it ran out of gas quicker… and then, it had to sit and wait for the slower, less-high-tech fuel trucks to catch up to it so it could continue down the road. The old tech at the hospital needs to catch up to the NavDX.

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Yes, the test sounds great but not sure how and if the doctors would prescribe any treatments with it at cellular level unless it was chemo. With that being said it should surely have a place in detection going forward. Good analogy Luvn TN

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 75 Member
    Options

immunotherapy is another treatment that works “at the cellular level”.

• LuvnTN
    Options

Update.. so, NavDX tested positive with a value of 8 two weeks ago. Went in for a CT w/ contrast on this past Saturday of both neck soft tissue and chest/abdomen. Both CT's show no evidence of anything remarkable. So, I am going in tomorrow for a second NavDX test just to confirm the first test results are accurate. After that, the doctors don't quite know what to do. I asked about the possibility of starting some treatment like Pembro (Keytruda) to deal with it at the cellular level. He told me that they like to see something on the scans before recommending any treatment. Seems like we need to re-visit some treatment protocols? I am going to have that discussion with him... and see if we can go forward asap to deal with whatever is showing up on these blood tests. I'll update as the process unfolds.

When it comes to any cancer, the message seems to be the earlier you catch it and treat it, the better the outcomes. However, now we in a situation where they are saying... well, let's not do anything until it gets to be a bigger issue... then, we will deal with it. I read up on the stages of cancer... and, apparently, there is an actual Stage 0. Here is the definition of Stage 0: "Abnormal cells are present but have not spread to nearby tissue. Also called carcinoma in situ, or CIS. CIS is not cancer, but it may become cancer."

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Thanks for the update on the NavDX test. Sounds like a good tool but the issue might be the treatment options, along with getting the docs, insurance allowing early treatment options. I think you are right maybe the protocol’s and treatments may need to be revised at some point. Good luck and thanks.

• Chillg8r
    Options

You could talk to the folks at Naveris and ask them if there is a significant difference in the volume of cancer between 8 and 4. If there is then perhaps, as mentioned, you can try Pembro and then test again to see if the immunotherapy is working

• LuvnTN
    Options

I just called Naveris, and got a lady who sounded like she was working remotely from her home. She did pass on my number to one of their providers to call me back and discuss. We'll see what the provider has to say when he/she calls.

• LuvnTN
    Options

I was thinking the same thing... like, give me the Pembro, and let's see what happens to my numbers (for the sake of "science", or something like that). Are you just taking the Pembro? or, is it in conjunction with some type of chemo as well?

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited January 2023 #33
    Options

As I see the situation here. This can be very complicated and hard to fully understand. As I see it and read about it, it is only for HPV cancer-detectable ctTTMV-HPV DNA. And at this point is used to monitor the success of treatment by seeing no detectable ctTTMV-HPV DNA. And to monitor the possibility of recurrence by finding a certain level of detectable ctTTMV-HPV DNA in the bloodstream. Or to test a person or persons that would be considered in a high risk lifestyle or group and if a detection is made then monitoring them with regular CT Scans with contrast or some other scan such as a PET or MRI but then doing these each year can be cost prohibitive and the insurance companies may balk at the idea. Of course, that would play out in the future I assume. It seems at this point that the test alludes to the possibility of a person getting Human papillomavirus (HPV)-related cancer. Or a recurrence of the same. I don't think they have a way to treat down to the DNA level yet but this is just one more step in the cancer field that may have an impact now or in the future for specifically HPV cancer. So I would say that if you test positive it would alert doctors to look more diligently and closely to areas that this cancer would start in for cancer or the recurrence thereof. There is already a test for women--

HPV DNA test

(... test)

A laboratory test in which cells are scraped from the cervix to look for DNA of human papillomaviruses (HPV). HPV can cause abnormal tissue growth (for example, warts) and other changes to cells. Infection for a long time with certain types of HPV can cause cervical cancer. HPV can also play a role in other types of cancer, such as cancers of the anus, vagina, vulva, penis, and oropharynx. Also called the human papillomavirus DNA test.

And it says the results are- -

A positive test result means that you have a type of high-risk HPV that's linked to cervical cancer. It doesn't mean that you have cervical cancer now, but it's a warning sign that cervical cancer could develop in the future.May 17, 2022

So that DNA test just indicates could develop in the future.

I submit the same for the NavDX test at this point it indicates a possible but not probable cancer event or recurrence in the future of HPV H&N cancer in the normally suspected areas for H&N cancer.

Here is an article from CancerConnect talking about it and citing a clinical trial.

Cancer

A novel blood test that identifies genetic fingerprints of tumor related viral DNA circulating through the body...

Here is information from the Navaveris website and it states that this test is to monitor Head and Neck recurrence not original detection although I don't see why it wouldn't work for that.

About Naveris

Naveris has developed highly sensitive blood tests for cancers to enable early diagnosis in the general asymptomatic population, real-time monitoring of response in patients undergoing treatment, and detection of cancer recurrence in patients in remission.

Our tests use disruptive proprietary technology to capture and analyze cancer-associated DNA in blood plasma that has increased sensitivity compared to existing circulating tumor DNA tests.

Our flagship technology is NavDx®, a liquid biopsy test that analyzes tumor-tissue-modified DNA in the blood to detect Human papillomavirus (HPV)-related cancer. In clinical studies, NavDx® has established its ability to monitor head & neck cancer recurrence.¹˒²˒³ A positive blood test preceded the detection of recurrence by imaging for 91% of patients, with a median lead-time of 3.9 months.¹

This is my 2 cents for now from what I can understand.

If I am incorrect in any way feel free to correct my ideas and we can all learn.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• Chillg8r
    Options

I have been on a Pembro based clinical trial since august 2021. In the first 6 months the Pembro was augmented with some injections of an element of the HPV vaccine. Since then I’ve just been receiving Pembro. 30 minute infusion every 3 weeks. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve had extremely minor side effects.

• JohnVon
    Options

I’m hoping to get into a trial soon. I’m switching to Johns Hopkins next week for my cancer care. Georgetown University Hospital Oncology has had one screw up after another. I’m so grateful to have finished my radiation with them. Dr Ahn at Georgetown is just terrible.

• Chillg8r
    Options

Good luck. I’ve been very happy with my teams at UNC Chapel Hill and MUSC in Charleston. Lucky so far.

• LuvnTN
    Options

Okay, a follow-up... back in early January, I had a NavDX score of 8. They ordered a CT scan with contrast that came back showing nothing detectable. So, we did a back-up/double-check NavDX one week ago to make sure.. and those results just came back at 78. Obviously, something is going on. Their thought was that if the second test came back positive/higher, I would wait 3 months... and have another CT w/ contrast due to the "lead time" I guess? Now they want to do two scans.. a MRI on my abdomen/chest (to possibly identify some tiny spots that were undefinable in the CT), and a whole-body PET some time in the next 2-3 weeks.

• SmittyFromCuse
    SmittyFromCuse Member Posts: 84 Member
    Options

My pre-treatment NavDX scored 95 and the surgery removed a very small tonsil tumor. I’m still waiting on my post-surgery results. Hopefully your 78 score indicates if there is something is small.

• Chillg8r
    Options

It sounds like you and your team are jumping right on this with scans, thats smart. If it turns o it that you still have some cancer load then you are indeed c arching it early and may definitely be a candidate for immunotherapy. I wold suggest you look into any clinical trials that may be going on. I believe they’ve had good results with the trial that I am on but I think they are not adding new people to it as they are in the process of assessing the results. The trial that I am on is called VERSATILE-002 (PDS0101-HNC-201) WIRB® Protocol #20193067 20-0625. Its title is: A Phase II, Open-Label, Multi-Center Study of PDS0101 (ImmunoMAPK - RDOTAP/HPV-16 E6 & E7 Peptides) and Pembrolizumab (KEYTRUDA ®) Combination Immunotherapy as a First Line Treatment in Subjects with Recurrent and/or Metastatic Head and Neck Cancer and High-Risk Human Papillomavirus-16 (HPV16) Infection

It’s been good for me, but I know that everyone is an individual case so it may not be whats best for you……FWIW, I’m 19 months out from the scan that showed that my cancer had metastasized and I feel better than I’ve ever felt since my journey began. Other than the one day every 3 weeks when I get my infusion my life is normal, in some ways better. I’m “enjoying every sandwich”.

• LuvnTN
    Options

Thank you so much! for the specifics of the trial info. I jumped online and found out that one of the facilities participating is in my state, and is reportedly still "recruiting" through May 2023. I sent off emails to the different contacts... will keep you posted. The Good Lord willing 🙏, something (maybe not this specific trial) will present itself that is different than what I just went through a little over a year ago (surgery/chemo/rads).