Abiraterone acetate from Cost Plus Pharmacy

Larry449
Larry449 Member Posts: 51 Member
edited January 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Is anyone using Mark Cuban’s Cost Plus pharmacy to get Abiraterone (Zytiga generic)? I s it reliable? I’ve been thinking about it. Abiraterone is listed on their site but next to 250mg, the standard dosage, it says “(Back order)”…

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,002 Member

Hi,

I would check with your doctor first before taking this drug, it has a lot of side effects plus can interact with other drugs. I have included a link with more info on Zytiga. I took Prednisone once for a muscular problem with my neck and it affected my sleep.

Dave 3+4

• Larry449
    Larry449 Member Posts: 51 Member

Thanx, Dave. I’ve been taking Zytiga/prednisone for nearly six years. Along with Lupron it has kept my PSA undetectable. Zytiga is ridiculously cost prohibitive. There’s no way I could afford the $3000/month copay. For all this time I’ve been on Johnson & Johnson patient assistance plan but that came to an end on Dec. 30, last year. My MO sent in a prescription for Abiraterone, the generic, but the copay for that is still over $2K a month. If I could get it thru Cost Plus it would be just under $150/mo. But when I looked it up on CPs web site it says “back order”. So, I guess I’m not asking about the drug, but asking if anyone is getting it from Cost Plus…

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 383 Member

I purchased Zytiga through GoodRX for 2 years at Osco Pharmacy for 2 years at a cost of $250 per month.

• Seattle_expat
    Seattle_expat Member Posts: 3 Member

I took name brand Zytiga & generic Zytiga from a health plan required specialty pharmacy for 5 years and there is no difference at all. Cost Plus is just dispensing the medication, not manufacturing it. Just get it for the cheapest price you can if it still works. I had essentially zero side effects from Zytiga / prednisone.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,315 Member

I agree with the above statements. Generic drugs are supposed to undergo the same quality controls.

• Buff1977
    Buff1977 Member Posts: 8 Member

I dont have any Metastatic spread with my Prostrate cancer but my oncologist recommended taking Zytiga/Abiraterone with my monthly hormone shot. It has brought down my PSA to undetectable levels. I am 64 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago with a 31 PSA 4+5 Gleason. I went with the HDR treatment with 25 External radiation treatments. I have done well with the treatments and side effects.

• WJG62
    WJG62 Member Posts: 3 Member

Hello Buff1977

I have prostrate and neck cancer. Had my first hormonal shot Monday and so far no side effects to speak of. Waiting for my prescription of Abiraterone Acetate to take per my Oncologist.

I have my consultation with my Radiologist on Tueaday to discuss radiation process.

When did you start the hormonal therapy? And you have already had all of your radiation treatments?

I was diagnosed in October, but my Oncologist requested a bone scan and then a PET Scan and that is when the neck ( T-1) location was found. Was supposed to have prostrate removed last week but the neck cancer finding stopped that .

What kind of side effects did you have from radiation?

Thank you

WJG62

• Buff1977

WJG62

I have not had any side effects from either the HDR or the external radiation treatments. When you say you have cancer in your neck, are you saying the lymph nodes ? What were your numbers ? I started the hormone therapy with out the pills right off the bat. My Radiologist/Oncologist wanted to shrink my prostate and get the PSA around 1.0 before doing the HDR. I say it took around 7 months for that to happen. My Radiologist is the best !! He got in there and got all he wanted to get done ! I had this done at UN Medical Center in Omaha Nebraska. I had the 25 external radiation treatments here in Pierre SD. I started the Zytiga/Abiraterone about a year and half ago. They watch your liver numbers. Again, I am very fortunate that my numbers all look great ! Working out has also helped all my numbers. I went on a diet and started working out and walking. Lost 50 lbs and have kept it off.

Hey keep up the good fight !

Buff1977

• WJG62
    WJG62 Member Posts: 3 Member

My neck cancer is in the bone. Location T-1 on the spine.

What is HDR? Not sure on abbreviation.

My last PSA in July 2022 was 4.9 had gone up from 3.9 in March 2022.

If not for my Oncologist pushing for a PET Scan that I had to have done at Dana Farber in Boston, MA we would not have know about it. Showed up on scan along with prostate which we had already known about. Unfortunately they cannot do a bone biopsy in that area. I told Dr that I saw the scan image and it shows up the same as the prostate "glow" due to the special dye used.

Find out Tuesday with Radiologist what her treatment plans are.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,315 Member

HDR = High Dose Rate brachytherapy, I assume.

• Buff1977

As Old Salt says, it is High Dose Radiation Brachytherapy. They insert an implant into the prostate and give you a high dose of radiation. Is the bone cancer in your neck related to the prostate cancer ? What did you have for a gleason score ? You are lucky you got the PET scan. Lots of times you cant get one to begin with. My PET scan showed no spread to lymph nodes or the bones. As I have mentioned... I really feel good right now.