LAUNCH OF MILITARY CANCER SURVIVORS' DISCUSSION

spongebob
spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
edited November 2022 in Testicular Cancer #1
After a little cajolling, I have convinced the CSN that there is a need for a discussion for military cancer survivors. The purpose of this discussion is to give military folks a safe place to go and ask questions about treatment, administrative issues, performance evaluations, etc. that are unique to military cancer survivors. If you or someone you care about are military cancer survivors, stop on over and say "Attention!". I have recruited Kat - a military attorney with 11 years of trial experience and Mike, an oncology nurse (NOT a doctor) to help out with technical stuff. As you may have gathered, I am an old dinosaur myself (23 years E-1 to O-4) with lots of experience at "working the system". We're here to listen, advise, let you vent or kick you in the butt if necessary.

Hoping to hear from you soon - active duty or retirees.

- LCDR SpongeBob

Comments

• srvivr95
    srvivr95 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Sponge Bob,
    I am very impressed with what you are doing and would like to let you know if you need any people to help count me in. You can email me direct at srvivr95@yahoo.com I am a Cancer survivor now for a little over 8 yrs now and am very happy to be alive.
    One another note I want to thank you and all the men and women under your command for the job you all do to keep us safe.

Peter
  • srvivr95 said:

Hello Sponge Bob,
    I am very impressed with what you are doing and would like to let you know if you need any people to help count me in. You can email me direct at srvivr95@yahoo.com I am a Cancer survivor now for a little over 8 yrs now and am very happy to be alive.
    One another note I want to thank you and all the men and women under your command for the job you all do to keep us safe.

Peter

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    srvivr95 said:

Hello Sponge Bob,

Peter

Thanks very much, Pete!

I appreciate your words of encouragement and support. Congrats on your 8 year success story - stories like yours are an inspiration to all of us!

I am curious, are you former military? As I mentioned in a recent post to petenice at the MCS discussion, there seems to be a higher per capita incidence of testicular cx among people who are either military pilots/navigators like petenice (with a radar between their legs) or military shipdrivers like me (leaning over a radar for 8-12 hours a day. It really has to make you wonder.

Thanks again for your post. I hope you don't mind that I copied it over to the MCS discussion.

Happy holidays!

- SpongeBob
  • Orlie
    Orlie Member Posts: 1
    I have just joined the CSN network and very intrested in the military cancer survivors. I am currently in the military. The information would be very good for everybody in the military.
  • jpark0908
    jpark0908 Member Posts: 2 *

Hello LCDR SpongeBob,

I am a senior in high school and I am hoping to get into one of the Service Academies (Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Coast Guard Academy, West Point) or a ROTC program. The last step to my applications are to complete the Department of Defense Medical Exam. I think I heard somewhere that the military has a 5 year cancer free policy but does anyone know if I will pass the DOD medical exam with a history of cancer?

Just 3 months ago, I had stage 1 testicular cancer. (mixed germ cell tumor) I had one testicle removed and had an implant placed. I am now completely cancer free and after several CT scans and blood tests, there is no recurrence. My doctor said I should have no problem serving in the military. My candidate fitness test scores are exceptional and I am back to competing in several varsity sports for my school.

Do you know if I will be able to be medically qualified or maybe get a medical waiver? Thank you!

• LuvnTN
    LuvnTN Member Posts: 75 Member

Any experience with the new PACT Act passed 2022? It covers a lot of different types of cancer... some specified "of any kind". This post is pretty old... not sure if I should expect a reply. So, I posted links on most of the different types of cancer covered on each specific board. Hopefully, we can get some discussion going with someone who has experience with this specifically:

https://news.va.gov/112016/what-the-pact-act-and-cancer-moonshot-mean-for-you/

• Shortykoza
    Shortykoza Member Posts: 3 Member

Hello everybody around the world how are you all doing,

my name is todd richard koza im 39 years old an im a survivor of cancer 2 x, an im cancer free 4 years now......                                                                                                                                                                  

Do u know how Rare u here about testicular cancer on tv never, u here about breast cancer,brain cancer,lung cancer,pancreatic cancer,lukeima,hodgekins,bone cancer an more..... Men at 15-35 get testicular cancer an live an fight but some don't..... I'm making a stand for men around the world an every human being dealing with cancer it's a bad disease to have u could die from it I lost my mom an uncle from cancer an ima survivor of testicular cancer 2 X........ Please gentlemen go to the doctor an get ur self checked cause if u don't ur going to go through lots of hell to get rid of cancer an let me tell u it's not easy your going to have to go through treatments lots of them an blood work an chemotherapy an radiation therapy an it's going to take a toll on ur body, Loss of hair, throwing up, hot an cold flashes etc.. But u will be sore after all this is done u won't be able to rest but when you do rest it's starts all over again treatments everything... So I'm standing up 2 cancer an ready to stop it I its tracks.... Have anybody ever see somebody go through cancer it's not fun, they're always sick an in bed fighting this **** disease that's going to kill them etc. men don't be afraid to step up an get urself checked out ok it's worth it in the long run...... I was in high school the first time I had cancer an the 2nd time at work an my co-workers were scared for me but they were there for me anything that i need they were there helping me out and more... Now I'm cancer free over 4 years now an getting busy living... So guys who's with me on the fight to stop testicular cancer in its tracks, I made a group on Facebook if u gentlemen want to join ok an my team name is "SHORTY KOZA N' THE SURVIVORS",,,,please talk to me I'm here to help an I'm behind u all 100%.... I'm spreading the word an I would love to have more help getting more viewers etc... What would u do if u didn't get checked out an u feel sick an in pain an more......