Esophageal cancer stage III

Reib2555
Reib2555 Member Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer stage III at the age of 70 last year day before Thanksgiving. I’ve since had a feeding tube and port put in , had 28 radiation treatments, 6 chemos and eventually the Ivor surgery in April of this year. 

I am blessed to say that at this moment, feeding tube is gone, I’m eating on my own with my stomach now being my esophagus, and currently am cancer free! I’ve been receiving immunotherapy infusions and healing slowly!

There are miracles!!!!

Vicki

[Content removed by CSN Support Team.] 

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member

Vicki,

Good for you for beating it. I don't want to be a downer on your victory parade, but stay on top of the follow up stuff. EC likes to come back. Again, I'm super glad that you beat it. Many healthy years to you.

Ed

• Reib2555

Thank you Ed. I’m well aware believe me. I am currently receiving immunotherapy infusions for a year and will have ct scans every three months! I have an amazing team at the cancer center and yes will be proactive! Thanks so much!

Vicki

• lokiandanubis
    lokiandanubis Member Posts: 4 Member

If I may ask…What immunotherapy are you receiving?

• Reib2555

Hi - sure

I am on Adjuvant Nivolumab 240 mg

Currently 1/2 dose every two weeks, after the 15th hoping for full dose once a month they say for a year via my port

• lokiandanubis
    lokiandanubis Member Posts: 4 Member

My husband is on that with his chemo. Folfox + Nivolumab + neulasta 5th cycle tomorrow

so great to read your story, gives us hope

• Reib2555

Keep as positive as you can my dear, it does help!!! You are both in my prayers!

Vicki

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member

Hi to all of you,

Two days ago, August 11th, was my 2nd anniversary of beginning treatment for stage III E.C. at the age of nearly 75. I too had 28 radiation treatments and 6 chemo treatments, and so far, so good. I did not have any surgery. I will have scans again in November and if all is good my oncologist says that he might consider popping a cork! Whether he does or not, I know I will.

All the best to all our brothers and sisters, josh r.

In 1991, I also was blessed to survive stage III larynx cancer. Keep the faith.

• Reib2555

Thank you Josh for the uplifting message. Went in for my first CT scan since surgery in April. Will find out results on Monday when I go in for my immunotherapy infusion! I pray I’m still clean!!

And we continue the fight! Bless you all!

Vicki

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member

Praying for you and all our many sisters and brothers Vicki, and that your scan results were all that you hoped for.

josh

• Reib2555

Thanks Josh. Was good news! One lymph node a bit more enlarged and doc will keep eye but he’s not concerned. Rest was clear!!!! So far so good!

Vicki

• WK55sa
    WK55sa Member Posts: 3 Member

Did you have to have a feeding tube placed after the radiation treatments? I've read that the esophagus gets pretty well cooked by the end of treatment.

• Reib2555

I actually had my feeding tube and port put in before I started treatment. I think the feeding tube truly helped some of the side effects from being as bad because I was being fed constantly! I wasn’t able to eat much of anything during treatment, the tumor was too large and blocking my stomach at the time.

• WK55sa

I'm certainly glad you're cancer free now. Such news is encouraging for others.

• Reib2555

Trust me I’m so grateful and truly hope to keep it that way with scans every 3 months and immunotherapy infusion for a year! I get to go to California in two weeks to see my sons family! Haven’t seen my daughter-in-law and grandbabies in 10 months!!!! There are miracles!💕

• WK55sa

I like your positivity !

• Reib2555

It does help and I want to live as long as I possibly can!!!!

• Narimasu66
    Narimasu66 Member Posts: 2 *

My good friend, since grade school, just completed the same treatment with Chemo, radiation & surgery as you had. He is preparing for immuno therapy and would like to get off the feeding tube but he is unable to gain weight. He is 74, 5'6", 122lbs. Before the treatments he was very active, participating in marathons and exercising regularly. He weighed 134lbs prior to the treatments. In addition to the esophagial cancer, he was diagnosed with emphysema (he smoked for many years) and is having difficulty breathing when he exercises. He can walk about a mile before he has to stop to catch his breath. He has just moved from soft foods to solids. He is unable to eat much. 2 pieces of cheese makes him full. He is taking ensure but his doctor wants him to start taking in more proteins to restore his muscle mass.

Did you have trouble gaining weight? What did you do to get off the feeding tube?

• Reib2555

After surgery I was on the feeding tube exclusively for about seven days. Then I started taking liquids but kept the feeding tube as well. I was in the hospital 11 days and even though I was starting to eat a little when I got home, I still was on the feeding tube for quite a while. Once I was able to maintain my weight is when they took the feeding tube out. It is definitely a process

Because my stomach is now my esophagus, my intestines work as my stomach. Thus I have to eat smaller meals and preferably more often and I’m still experimenting with what I can and cannot eat Finally I’ve been able to maintain my weight, but I’m still like 10-14 pounds down from when this all started

has been almost 5 months since surgery and I’m still getting my strength back. We found that I was iron deficient and they gave me a big dose last time I went in for an infusion. But I’m getting there

• Reib2555

Of course. Appetite takes a long time to come back. Have faith♥️