Newly Diagnosed and Searching for tips

4Jones
4Jones Member Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2022 in Ovarian Cancer #1

Hi everyone

I guess I got a pass to join the club.

My name is Debbiee and I’m searching for women who are going thru or have gone thru Ovarian Cancer. I found this site listed in the back of a book I was reading and thought I’d give it a try. I’m 61 and was diagnosed with OCCC back in April. I’ve had a full hysterectomy, tumor removal and port installed. I started Chemo ( Taxol, Carboplarin) last Monday and will need a total of 6. 

I was hoping I could get some tips on the nausea and diarrhea. I’m normally a pretty clean eater (99% vegan) and really never take medication. This is really kicking my a$$. ☹️

If you know of any other sites that may be beneficial I’d love the recommendations. 

Thanks and look forward to connecting with you.

Debbiee

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 388 Member

Welcome, Debbiee

I’m sorry you needed to find this board. It’s very quiet here….responses sometimes take a while, so I try to check in and help if I think I can. I’m a regular on the Uterine Board, which is very active. I was diagnosed Stage II Fallopian tube cancer, secondary peritoneal (pelvis only) in 2020. As to research, FTC is“thrown in” with OC because it’s so rare. You can click on anyone’s screen name and read their profiles.

There are many threads on the UB about tips for getting through chemo. Mostly we receive the same medications as OC patients, and usually 6 infusions, like you. I started a thread (with a typo in the title!)…Waiting of the other show to drop…you can find it from my profile page, or enter that phrase in the search bar on the Uterine page. It pretty much tells the story of how chemo went for me. We say over there, “it’s doable,” and it is, but geeeeeeze! It’s NOT good! But it’s what you have to do to save your life. You can do it!

I suffered constipation, not diarrhea, so I can’t help much with that. I had ondansetron for nausea, which worked OK. Peppermint candy offered some relief. I ended up with stomach lining issues (I know of know one else who had that!) which that med didn’t help at all!

I’m not a Facebook person, but I think there are pages just for OC that are active.

Hope I helped a little! All the women here are always in my prayers. It’s a long, tough road, but just try to keep putting one foot ahead of the other and look forward to the end!

Hugs, A

• Loo2590
    Loo2590 Member Posts: 20 Member

Hi Jones,

Inspire is a good site very responsive. I'm pretty close to your schedule. Diagnosed in April high grade serious stage 3c, had surgery. Just had second round of chemo. I had an allergic reaction to the taxol so the second dose was switched to abraxane.

I've found water alot before and after is really helpful. Eating whatever you can also. I take Claritin the day before chemo and 3 days after. It helps with energy and the flu like body aches. I also started taking prilosec to help with gas pains, my main issue. Also miralax in my coffee everyday day for constipation. Take your nausea pills at least 3 days after. Days 3 and 4 are my worst, lots of sleeping. But usually by day 7 you start to feel normal.

With the abraxane I haven't had any neuropathy issues. But the first dose with taxol I did. Iced during treatment then I found if the numbness or needles started to elevate my feet and hands would relive it. Only lasted a day or so.

I do get pain on days 3 and 4 in my abdomen. I will either take half a pain pill or a gummy. Works well.

Best wishes feel feel to ask any other questions