Lumakras (sotorasib)

LunaLady
LunaLady Member Posts: 31 Member
edited September 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

Has anyone used this drug yet? I know the FDA approval is fairly new but wondering about the side effects and efficacy?

Comments

• Jennifer7000
    Jennifer7000 Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi,

I'm just starting on this drug. I have colon cancer. Its approved for lung cancer right now, but KRAS G12C is also found in colon cancer so I am going to try it.

I came on here to ask a question about it, but I don't see a lot of posts about Sotorasib.

I've read everything about this, so if you want me to send you any links, let me know. But the links and the info don't answer my specific question.

My question is for someone who has actually used it: How long does it take before you notice how you tolerate it and for any potential side effects to kick in? (how many days, weeks?).

Maybe you know the answer?! But as your post was from a while ago I am going to post this question somewhere else on this site.

• LunaLady
    LunaLady Member Posts: 31 Member

Hi Jennifer,

My late husband was the one taking this drug for a very aggressive form of lung cancer. He was taking it for maintenance only as his cancer had already progressed to stage 4 and metastasized.

I had done as much research as I could before he started taking it and the main side effects I found were intestinal, and seemed to be vomiting and diarrhea. This was a concern for us as he had already lost quite a bit of weight and could not afford more. However, he did not have the issues others had. In fact, his appetite returned after starting Lumakras. He was still not able to eat that much, but I believe that has more to do with his energy levels than anything else. He did not have any vomiting or diarrhea - in fact he suffered from the opposite. He had issues with constipation but that also could have been a side effect of the pain meds he was also on.

The biggest issue he seemed to have was he could not swallow the pills. We ended up using the alternate method - I would dissolve the pills in water and he would drink that, then another 4 ounces of water after that. He mentioned it was somewhat chalky but that was about it. It did not take long to realize he was not going to have the main issues the literature talked about. From the time he started the med to the time of his passing he was able to tolerate Lumakras pretty well.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your treatment and I hope it all goes well.

Stephanie

• Jennifer7000
    Jennifer7000 Member Posts: 7 Member

Dear Stephanie,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Thank you so much for sharing what you know, much appreciated.

So far I am tolerating it as well, so I hope this continues.

Jessica

• eagleracer6568
    eagleracer6568 Member Posts: 1 Member

My husband has been on it for about a year after unsuccessful chemo due to the Krass gene. He has suffered diarrhea and fatigue but it is manageable. He is stage 4 and cat scan is showing increased lymph node increases but no increase in cancer mass. He is able to function and is a very active guy so we are thankful for the extended time.

• 3hearts
    3hearts Member Posts: 10 Member

I’m curious to how your husband is doing now on the Lumakras? It’s been over a year since you posted this. My husband started the drug about a month ago.