Great...another cancer to contend with.

13»

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 388 Member

Good morning, Ladies!

I had my Mohs surgery yesterday morning. It was a pretty easy business, except for the 1 1/2 hour drive to get there…which is normal for around here if you “live in Houston,” but don’t actually live there, but 70+ miles north!

Thankfully, it was what they referred to as “one and done.” They removed skin about the diameter of a dime & 4-5mm thick. That was enough to take care of it. I guess he put in about a dozen stitches that have to be removed in 2 weeks. (I can go to a much closer location for that to be done.) They said I’m supposed to do this & that…antibiotic and antibiotic ointment…and replace bandages twice a day for those two weeks. It hurts and looks quite awful, but it’s over!

More fun today. My regular 3-month checkup at GO’s office. No sane woman would schedule herself for 8 pelvic exams in 2 years, but “it is what it is!” Very grateful that’s all it is! 😁 Bloodwork came back great yesterday, so my body seems to handling the Zejula OK, including new CA125 = 19! I’m very happy about that!

I keep reminding myself that not everyone has the privilege of living long enough to have these problems! I’m a lucky girl. 😎

Thanks for all of your care and support! Hope everyone can have a great Wednesday!

Love to All,

A

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Glad to hear the surgery went well, although you'll be healing for a bit. And good news that Jejula isn't causing any problems with your bloodwork.

Doing the pelvic exams every three months is a hurdle, but they are performed less often the longer you go after treatment, so that's something to look forward to.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 489 Member

Hi A,

I'm happy to hear that your Mohs surgery went so well. Good luck with the healing process! Your experience sounds pretty similar to mine, although thankfully I only got 5 stitches, not a dozen! I think if I had to listen to the sound of that suture pulling through my scalp twelve times, I would have lost my mind! I made a mental note that the next time I get a skin cancer, I will not get one so close to my ear! Hopefully you're experiencing minimal if any pain today. I only had one night that I couldn't lay on my right side due to the soreness of the incision. I had to continue to use the mupirocin antibiotic cream for a week after my stitches were removed, so my last day was yesterday, three weeks post-surgery.

After all those great blood test results, I hope you sailed through your visit with your GO yesterday!

All the best,

M

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 281 Member

Great news! Hope your healing goes smoothly!

• thatblondegirl

Thank you to all for your well wishes!

Appointment at GO’s went fine, thank goodness!

Maybe it was a little much to have the Mohs one day and then GO the next…. scheduling really couldn’t have been altered….but it was tough emotionally. I’ve about decided I must have a bit of PTSD as it relates to going into that GO’s office for checkups. I’m anxious and unhappy for about a week before the appointment. I always have tears in my eyes when we pull out of the driveway and then am very anxious while I’m there….I smile a lot and am very friendly, but I’m marginally uncooperative and somewhat sarcastic! No one’s ever accused me of being a great patient! 😉 It has nothing to do with fear, or fear of a bad outcome, it’s just about being there. The staff is wonderful to me, so it’s not that, either. I think it was the scene of so much emotional and physical trauma (all my chemo infusions where right there in his treatment room), and it brings back horrible memories.

When I picked up prescriptions on the way home, I made a couple of deadpan remarks about this & that…kind of a specialty of mine!…and then apologized saying, “I’m sorry. I’m humorless today.” The girl didn’t skip a beat, “Oh, you have a sense of humor. It’s just very dry!” 😆

And then I’m completely better the next day. It’s over and I’m good! I’ve always appreciated the ability of the human mind to tuck bad memories far, far, away where they’re less accessible. These visits every 3 mths are not facilitating that process! Does this happen to any of you ladies? This will get better, right?

❤️❤️❤️, A

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

You can get PTSD from a possible fatal diagnosis. It is listed as one of the causes. I recovered from my hysterectomy etc, and worried about my pathology report, in my bed. After receiving my report I could not sleep in the same spot. As soon as I lay down, the fear returned. I had to sleep in another room for awhile. I think in our ancient past, if something dangerous happened to you, it was best not to return to that spot. I think it is inherited. But sometimes it is not helpful. And yes I was fearful returning to that exam room for years. I am coming up to my fourth year, and I no longer dread the room.

• thatblondegirl

Thank you, Forherself! That is very encouraging that I can have hope that those feelings will dissipate! Thank you for validating my distress!

Funny how different things are triggers for us. This last thing I always did before we walked out the door for a chemo infusion was apply lidocaine to my port and then the whole plastic wrap to cover routine. The other morning (have to get port flushed, too) I remembered I needed to do that and then felt a shuddering. Told myself, “Nope. Not doin’ it. She can spray that freezer stuff. It’ll hurt, but I don’t care.” The idea of that physical pain was a better alternative to the emotional pain of the process! Pitiful!

And I kind of feel foolish having those feelings about those appointments…and then not behaving very well while I’m there! (impatient…humorless…old lady ornery!)…yet I know that avoidance response to bad situations is deeply ingrained in our human psyche! And it’s kind of funny how it feels that way…like it’s coming from somewhere deep down and is less easily controlled than other emotions!

Hope you all have a great Sunday! Around here the sweltering heat of summer is upon us already!

❤️, A

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

I have talked about PTSD quite a few times here. We have two nervous systems, one of which we have no control over. Autonomic. It is the system that prepares you for threats. And that is the one you are experiencing. We all have different thresholds. Desensitization is a method to retrain your autonomic nervous system to "lighten up!" It works well. But time heals too. What you are experiencing is a normal function of your body. Unpleasant as it may be. It will decrease over time. Enjoy your weather. We are so cold and wet here in the Northwest.

• RainbowRita
    RainbowRita Member Posts: 72 Member

Apologies for not posting an update after my checkup with the oculoplastics doc before now, but I just didn’t have the time to do this sooner. The appointment was at 8:30 am last Monday. As soon as I got home, I loaded up my 87 year old mom and my 3 dogs into my SUV and headed to my son's place in Wisconsin...a four hour drive. I just got back a few hours ago. It was so nice to be able to spend some time with my only grandchild...he's 9 years old. Trip went well considering it rained almost every night and the day I arrived there was a bad thunderstorm with golf ball-sized hail. Did some damage to the vinyl siding on two sides of the house, probably the roof, but my son wasn't going up there to check. I was able to drive my vehicle into his barn, so no damage to that at least. My son's weather alarm radio went off and warned of damaging hail, good thing too as I would not have thought to drive my vehicle inside in time.

Now about that checkup after my eyelid surgery...I asked the doctor if he'd like to admire his handiwork when he came into the room and told him I was very pleased with how my eye looked. He pulled up on the computer monitor a photo of my eye after the Mohs surgery and before the reconstruction of my lower lid and gave me a summary of what he had done to repair the "defect". (He did some of that after the surgery, but I imagine he thought I may not have been all that "with it" to remember what he told me. ) But even after he explained the process in more detail, I still am amazed at how well it looks after seeing how much of a chunk of skin was removed because as I mentioned earlier, there were only two 1/2" incisions and no external sutures. The skin removed was basically the size of half of a penny from the very edge of my eye to the center.

One funny thing, the doctor noticed in my records that I was having acupuncture treatments and he asked me some questions about that and if I thought they were effective. I told him I was skeptical that they would work, but I am a believer now. He told me he’s been having neck pain and someone suggested trying acupuncture. I imagine he thought he may as well ask someone who had experienced it. I told him he should definitely give it a try. I thought it was so funny though…me giving “advice” to a medical doctor with his level of expertise. He even asked me if the needles hurt. LOL I told him just a little bit when they first go in.

Glad to hear "A" that your Mohs surgery went well. :-) Sorry though to hear that the GO appointments are so stressful for you. I sure don't enjoy them either, but they don't seem to trigger me. I have my port flushes scheduled immediately after after the pelvic exams at my gyn onc's suggestion. I just have to walk across the hall for those, so is pretty convenient.

No one ever mentioned the lidocaine cream to me to lessen the pain of the needle insertions. I read that online somewhere when I was about halfway though my chemo and at that point I figured "Why bother?" but if I had thought it through about all the port flushes I would need to have done, I would have asked for a Rx for it as those suckers can sting for a bit. Someone mentioned on here not too long ago about how much pain she has when that needle is inserted and I wonder if hers isn't near a nerve which makes it more painful for her.

When I was at my son's house, I bent over and around the couch to reach something and I had some intense stabbing pains at my port site. And man, did those hurt! Felt like someone was stabbing me in that spot. I had about three in quick succession and then a few more when I moved and then totally went away. Normally my port never bothers me, so it was very strange to have that happen out of the blue. I think the awkward movement must have triggered some nerve, so definitely think that those needle insertions can be a lot more painful for some people than others.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 281 Member

Rita, what an experience! I'm glad your car wasn't damaged and neither were you! That would be some big hail! Glad to hear your recovery is going well from the Moh's surgery.

That's interesting about the port placements. When I went for my first chemo, the nurse said she bet she could guess who put it in - and she was right as to the practice! Apparently they put it a little lower than some other doctors. Now, it did hurt some when one of my grandchildren whacked their head back against it but it didn't do any damage.

They did teach us about the lidocaine cream and were emphatic about using it. Which I did until the day I went for a clinical trial evaluation and the lab work was in the middle of the day and there was no opportunity to use it. By then I'd heard from a friend who never bothered with it that she had no trouble, so I haven't used it since. Maybe it's the placement that makes it easier? I don't know.

• cmb

I wasn't told about the lidocaine cream either, but the I seem to remember the oncology center's nurse prepping the port area before inserting the needle. I don't think the nurses at the hospital took any extra steps when getting me setup there. The needle always did sting a bit going in, but I actually find it far more painful when they connect an IV through the veins in my hand for other infusions or procedures.

Funny story: My sisters took me to get my port and they left the waiting area, assuming that it would take a while. But the whole process was over very quickly and I was awake the whole time (although in no pain or anxiety - drugs work!). The nurse then had to page my sisters to get them back to take me home. She commented that if she had known I was going to have that doctor she would have told them to stay in the waiting area. Apparently he has a reputation of being very speedy.

I don't know how my placement compares to others, but after a while I stopped noticing it. It's been in over five years and still works, although it never got used after chemo. The GO mentioned for the first time about having it removed at my last appointment. Guess he thinks it's finally "safe" to be taken out. But I haven't done anything about having it removed yet.

• RainbowRita

CMB, so your port has been in five years and is still working just fine ? That's good to hear. How often do you have to go in for port flushes or are you allowed to flush it yourself if it is a conventional port? My port is a "Smart Port" (power-injectable port) and I was told that those have to be flushed by a nurse trained to handle that particular version. "PowerPort" is similar, but made by a different company.

Fortunately for me, the hospital where I received chemotherapy and also have to go for surveillance exams and port flushes (scheduled on the same day) is only 2 & 1/2 miles from my house.

• cmb

I was told to only let the oncology nurses access the PowerPort, which is why it was never used again after chemo. But honestly, no one told me I was supposed to be getting it flushed when I finished treatment. And once it was inserted, I never looked at the patient information again, which may have talked about this. I suppose the medical oncologist thought the GO would do it and the GO might have thought medical oncology was taking care of it. So it wasn't until I started reading this board that I learned that others were having their ports flushed regularly.

But by then it had been so long since it had been used, I figured it was probably blocked up and I would just have to get it replaced if I ever needed it again. So frankly I just ignored the whole issue until the GO asked me at my last exam if I wanted to have it removed. The nurse checked it then and found it was still working, despite not having been flushed for years. Maybe I'll get it taken out once I officially hit the five-year mark in September, but it's never bothered me and as long as it still works, I'm not really motivated to do anything about it. But if I had been getting it flushed on a regular basis I'm sure I would have had it taken out years ago, just to stop that extra step. 

• RainbowRita

Amazing that your port wasn't clogged after that long of a time never getting flushed! I will have to mention that to the nurse the next time I go in for my port flush. Doubt if they'll let me spread the port flushes out though even if I do tell them of your experience. 😁

• cmb

Well, I don't advise skipping what's recommended medically. I'm sure my situation arose because the gynecological oncologist was new to the practice (although not new as a GO). When I met with him initially, I got the sense that he would oversee treatment, much like most women's GO's here have done. But then I learned that I would get chemo from the separate medical oncology group.

So when I shifted back to the GO for ongoing care (except for radiation) after six months of chemo, some instructions were probably lost in the transition. And then I didn't see the GO again for another 4-5 months since radiation was in that time period. By the time I was on a regular 3-month checkup cycle, the flushing issue didn't come up and I didn't know to ask about it.

I will say that my mother kept her port after her last (finally successful) chemo treatments and I don't remember her seeing the doctor for any flushing during the following years until she died. And the nurse who did check me recently told me that some women have kept their ports in for many years. But if keeping it meant that I would have to get it flushed every 2-3 months, I would have had it yanked out years ago.

• thatblondegirl

Hi!

Got my stitches out yesterday! Yay! Thanks always was your kind responses here!

Lidocaine…I had a prescription, but guess you can get some form OTC? When chemo nurse did my flush she said, “You should have told me when you first arrived and I’d have given you some!” Why didn’t I think of that?!? ;))

Yes, cmb, I think on a 3-month schedule you would have had it out! I hate the ugly thing! Those 3 little balls bulging out and it makes my skin looks so transparent. Makes it kinda scary looking! Yuk. I know I’ve written this in a thread before….but when I asked GO when I could get it out he said, “At least 2 years. It’s like Murphy’s Law. The ones who take them out need them. The ones who don’t, don’t.” I was incredulous! I said, “Oh My God, don’t tell me that!!!” Yeah….that’s what we need from a medical doctor….superstitions. Good grief! I’m leaving it in for 2 years and then out! The thing is, I’m told if they have to replace it, they can’t put it back in same spot, and it’s painful.

Hugs on this Wednesday. ❤️, A

• RainbowRita

I didn't know that about OTC lidocaine cream. I'll have to check that out...thanks for the tip, A! 😊

My gyn onc recommended that if my port isn't bothering me to leave in in for at least a year, but she suggested two years as she said the risk of a reoccurrence it most likely in the first two years. Since my port flushes are timed right after I'm done with my surveillance exams and just across the hall, it's not a big deal for me to have the port flushes done every 3 months. I can see how leaving a port could be more problematic for others though. If I may ask, what kind of port do you have, A? My port has only one bulge, not three. It is about the diameter of a quarter.

Funny about what your GO said...the nurse that did my final infusion told me a story about a woman who had been there a few days before me who had her port removed only to have her breast cancer return and had to have the port put back in not long after she had the first one removed. I sure didn't want to go through that again, so I was good with leaving my port in for a couple of years.

Although I agree that doctors shouldn't be talking about "Murphy's Law"...real reassuring there, doc. It is still good to be warned about the potential for reoccurrence and be told that a port may have to go in again if that were the case and would need to go into a different (and potentially less ideal) location.

And as far as "superstition" goes...I've pet insurance on my dogs for years and have yet to make a claim. I figure as soon as I cancel it, I'll be looking at an expensive vet bill. I look at leaving that port in the same way as that pet insurance. "Better safe, than sorry." 😉