Dumping Syndrome

Frakat
Frakat Member Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2023 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hello. I was recently diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in 2021 and underwent chemo, radiation and an Ivor Lewis surgery (resection) of the lower part of my esophagus and top portion of my stomach in February, 2022. I am recovering well and feel great, but I am having issues with Dumping Syndrome. Wondering if anyone has experienced Dumping Syndrome and if so, when will it stop, how do you stop it? Any information on your experience with this surgery and Dumping Syndrome would be helpful.

Thanks, Frank

Comments

• nicmarie75
    nicmarie75 Member Posts: 57 Member

As someone who had Gastric Bypass, that is very common for bariatric patients to get. Unfortunately, for us you just really have to find what foods give you the dumping syndrome and avoid them. I lay down until it passes when it does happen.

• Frakat

Thank you. Yes, it's trial and error. I do lay down as well.

• David2013
    David2013 Member Posts: 5 Member

I had esophageal cancer in 2013. From this website and others, it seems that the level of dumping syndrome that survivors experience varies widely. In my case, I have pretty bad dumping syndrome, whereas others don't have it at all but I think this is rare. I experience what I refer to as the three F's: fullness, flushed, fatigue (and diarrhea if I eat too much). The fatigue is the worse part because I often fall asleep when I lie down after eating. The other reply is correct in that there is trial and error in finding what foods trigger a more negative response to your body. Postings seem to indicate that refined sugars and bread, at a minimum, are common triggers -- which is true for me. I also want to point out that my dumping syndrome symptoms are half related to what I eat and half related to the quantity of food I eat.

Despite the severity of my dumping syndrome, I can eat whatever I want and do often eat what triggers it. One of life's greatest pleasures is food, so my strategy is to eat what I want but in very moderate quantities. For example, if I have a sugary dessert, I'll have four bites and then I'm done, instead of a trying to eat the full serving. That way I at least get to have the pleasure of enjoying the dessert. It gives me at least a little sense of normalcy despite that I have a new normal related to foods and eating.

Good luck and I wish you well.

• Frakat

Thank you David. I really appreciate your comment to me. I am three months in from surgery and having a had time figuring out my diet. I knew that I had to eat smaller meals for frequently, but didn't think there were things that I couldn't eat.

Thanks again! I wish you well.

• Esophagectomysurvive
    Esophagectomysurvive Member Posts: 4 Member

I have dumping syndrome following a partial esophagectomy. My daughter did much research for me during my four months on the feeding tube. Her research said to eat meals with 3 or 4 small bites slowly, wait an hour or two, have 3 more bites. Basically graze slowly everyday. I take anti diarrhea medicine daily. I don't always stop at 4 small bites. When I follow the 3 or 4 small bites it works for me. Best wishes.

• Frakat

I was told to eat smaller portions slowly, chewing very well. So instead of having three meals a day, I break them down into six smaller meals. This worked for me and now I find that sometimes I can eat a regular plate, wait 1/2 hour or so, and then have another. I also work with a nutritionist who is very familiar with dumping syndrome and she recommended I use a supplement called "Banatrol Plus". It is a powder in a packet (a medical oncology food) that I mixed in a blender with almond milk, banana and strawberry. It helped me out a great deal with the dumping syndrome, as it helps keep food in for longer periods of time, rather than it coming out right after you eat. It's been over a year now since my surgery and my dumping syndrome has been somewhat better and I now know how to manage it.

It isn't cheap and can be bought on Amazon. However, since it is a medical oncology food, I was able to get it through a company called CORAM at no cost.

You may want to look into this product. Good Luck & Best wishes

FRANK

• Esophagectomysurvive
    Esophagectomysurvive Member Posts: 4 Member

The doctor put me on that when I was on the feeding tube and had constant diarrhea. I can't say it helped but I know there are benefits. I have noticed liquid supplements make the dumping worse. Maybe I need to try nutrition bars. Thanks!