Hyperthyroidism

2»

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited April 2022 #22

Well, MG There are recommended levels and a range you should be in to be considered in the normal range and that is what I usually go by, and also my doctor’s recommendation. There is loads of info out there on what is considered acceptable levels. TSH is recommended to be between 0.4 to 4.5 mU/L. Although I know someone who has been near or almost at the upper level and they work with their doctor to stay off the higher level because they just feel better. I would say if you are right up there at the top of the accepted limit talk to your doctor and bring it back down some and see if you don’t feel better.

I have heard of improper levels causing fatigue but had not heard if the numbness and tingling aspect but on doing some research I find it is possible if you have severe hypothyroidism.

Severe, long-term, untreated hypothyroidism can cause peripheral neuropathy. Although the association between hypothyroidism and peripheral neuropathy isn't fully understood, it's known that hypothyroidism can cause fluid retention resulting in swollen tissues. This can put pressure on peripheral nerves.

Would your reading level constitute a rating of severe? Also if you have had any of the platins for chemotherapy they cause nerve damage and numbness and tingling, which I have. Such as Cisplatin, Taxotere, and everybody’s favorite Fluorouracil is also known as FU or 5FU. Also memory problems and a somewhat foggy head can be affected by the thyroid but also many people that had cancer treatment believe they have bouts with chemo brain. In fact I believe I do at times but I don’t think there is a test for it and besides it is a by product of treatment to save your life and the effect we get we just adapt as best as we can. As far as I know if you have chemo brain I don’t think there is any answer or treatment for it. I will put a couple links below for reference if anyone is interested. Probably more info than anybody cares about.

Thyroid info, levels, tests, etc. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/17556-thyroid-blood-tests

TSH levels too high or low

https://www.medicinenet.com/what_happens_if_the_tsh_level_is_high/article.htm

Thyroid forgetfulness and brain fog possibilities

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-thyroid-disorders-cause-forgetfulness-98837

Peripheral Neuropathy possibilities with the thyroid

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/expert-answers/hypothyroidism/faq-20058489

Chemo Brain??

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chemo-brain/symptoms-causes/syc-20351060

Wishing you the best

Take care-God Bless-Russ

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,034 Member

MG,

When I went thru my Radiation treatments, the Radiation Oncologist stated to me that it wasn't a matter "IF" my Thyroid would fail, it was a matter of "When" it would fail. He was right, about the 4th or 5th year out of Radiation, I became fatigued more than normal after a day of work . Doing chores around the house seemed to zap me more as well.

I had a routine visit with my Family Doctor and she did bloodwork on me. My TSH was at 7, which was higher than the normal range of 4.5 that is mentioned by Russ. Family Doctor also mentioned that some Doctors wait until the TSH level reaches 11 before putting someone on the Synthroid med's. She said she wasn't going to wait that long and gave me a very low dose of Levothyroxine ( generic ) of Synthroid. She then retested me after 45 days and my TSH still was not in range, we did this approximately 3 times slowly working me into range.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member

Russ / Marine,

I appreciate your support as always. I was just over 6 on the TSH, last time and this time. My other numbers are "in the range". But, I'm already talking to my Oncologist and Primary Care Doctor about starting me on a prescription. I seem to have all of the symptoms.

Thanks!...

Curt

• wbcgaruss

Hey, Curt, since you are a bit over 6 It is probably a good time that you are getting the meds and getting it back down a little below the threshold of the 4.5. You will probably notice a difference. Let us know when you get it lowered and the results of how you feel then.

Take care-God Bless-Russ

• motorcycleguy

Russ,

I was prescribed 50 (micrograms) of “something”, yesterday. I will probably pick that up, tomorrow.

The Dr. said I should feel better in 2 weeks, and to follow up, if I need “adjustment”.

I appreciate your help on this, and I’ll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,

Curt

• motorcycleguy

I went back and re-read this whole thread and I just want to thank EVERYONE who replied to this with advice and support; I appreciate all of your help!!

I should be picking up meds, tomorrow - and I’ll let you know how it goes....

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member

I see 6, and I am soo jealous!

30 :( and my body doesn't like the meds, so its hit or miss if I take it, because, the other option is even more debilitating

• motorcycleguy
    edited April 2022 #29

Suz,

I’m sorry to hear that. At 6+ my arms feel numb, sore and cold.

I’ve taken 2 doses of Levothyroxine, so far (50 micrograms each). I’ll let you know if it works.

I hope your caregivers find something that helps you!

I appreciate your support,

Curt

• SuzJ

I'm at 175 mg right now, I'm not cold. or numb, sore

My brain is on permanent vacation

Other things don't work like they should because of it (cholesterol, potassium, magnesium, blood pressure, mood to name a few)

Oh and weight, make it go away!

• motorcycleguy
    edited April 2022 #31

Suz,

I had a blood test at my Oncologist’s appointment, yesterday.

My TSH had dropped from 6.3 to 4.6. So, the “Levo” appears to be having a positive effect already.

(He did tell me that 6.3 wasn’t very high, compared to what he’s seen in other patients...)

I plan to try Gabapentin, also - to try to deal with the irritations of Neuropathy.

I hope you’re doing well, today - and have a nice Easter!...

Curt

• wbcgaruss

Wow, that's pretty amazing that you are getting such quick results, I thought it would take longer to see a change.

Very good then you will probably feel the difference soon also.

I take Gabapentin for neuropathy and it does make a difference. It does not get rid of it but certainly cuts back on the severity of it. I had tried to quit taking it at one time but found that the irritation of the neuropathy was very aggravating to the extreme and found if I am even taking one pill a day it makes a big difference. I am prescribed to take 300mg 3 times a day and the mg at the end of 300 is for milligrams, not MotorCycleGuy.

Take care-God Bless-Russ

• motorcycleguy

I have noticed a positive result after 3 doses of “Levo”. My arms feel warm and energy levels are already getting better. I haven’t picked up my Gabapentin prescription, yet.

Thanks to all of you, for the advice and support!

• motorcycleguy

I got Gabapentin also - just started today..

I got tired of arm pain and numbness...

• SuzJ

My son, has had a rough time recently, I am now seeing light at the end of the tunnel

But, he gets bad leg tremors, and the Gabapentin works really well - does make him sleepy - but up to now, definitely not an issue!

He fell, about 8 ft off a climbing wall - the only kind of climbing that doesn't use a harness and belay rope.

Landed "just right" got a PILON fracture - about 2% of the population will have one .. shattered his ankle, had an external fixator, then an 8 hr surgery to screw and wire all the bits back together (2 plates, 28 screws, a few yards of wire) - That was last August - he is finally upright, oh thank heavens, I was so gonna kill him..

This is why Gabapentin is wonderful!

• motorcycleguy

SuzJ,

I did notice that Gabapentin made me tired, also. So, I started taking it at night.

I've only taken 4 doses so far. I feel a lot of "surging" activity, in my arms - but not a lot of relief from Neuropathy symptoms, yet. (But, I'm supposed to take 3 doses a day ... and my Doctor told me to start with one a day - until I found out how I reacted to them.)

With the "Levo", my Hypothyroidism battle appears to be winnable. I've noticed more energy. I'm hungrier and ironically, seem to have lost a little weight already. So - it appears my metabolism is speeding back up.

As I've mentioned, my Hypothryoidism appears to be a relatively very mild case, but I wanted to see if meds would help "smooth me out".

Curt

• wbcgaruss

Hello MG, I am sure you will easily get the thyroid situation under control. This is just a very simply handled medical problem anymore. Once they get your exact dose down to control your thyroid problem you will get follow-up tests once a year or maybe every 6 months for a bit. They can watch your numbers and increase or decrease strength as needed. Usually from what I have seen if the thyroid levels change it is not quick and happens over time.

Good luck with the Gabapentin, it helps me. I think being tired or sleepy after taking it seems to be a pretty common reaction.

Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ