Hoarseness

Boston Bunny
Boston Bunny Member Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

It's been 4 months since my last radiation treatment for BOT cancer. Tumor is gone. Pet scan scheduled in a month. My main problem is hoarseness and dry mouth. My ENT says a dry throat can contribute to a hoarse and raspy voice , but I haven't read many blogs where hoarseness is a problem. Is any one out there finding his or her voice hoarse after radiation treatments are complete?

Comments

• Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member
    edited March 2022 #2

That's a long time. Unfortunately, the dry mouth comes later. Ugh. I had Larynx cancer so mine was different. Have you tried Xylimelts, and then your salt and baking soda rinse. You also want to drink water as much as you can and stay hydrated.

I have used this throughout: https://carifree.com/shop/?product-types=spray

I use their mouthwash as well. My dentist first sold it to me. The mouthwash is the CTX4: https://carifree.com/product/ctx4-treatment-rinse/

Then I use a Flouride paste called MI Paste Advanced. It comes in a tube and you just rub it around/on your teeth. I like to do it before I go to sleep so it just sits in my mouth.

Do you wake up sleeping with your mouth open with it really dry? If this goes on throughout the day keep water with you at all times and drink/sip on it. Chewing gum is also an option.

-S

• Stephie75

By the way, my voice has been good lately, but I don't trust it. It wouldn't surprise me if it got hoarse again. It was an on/off thing. Don't worry about yourself too much.

Had your voice cleared up at all yet?

• Boston Bunny

Thank you Steph75 for the great tips. I do sleep with my mouth open off and on (so my husband says). And I have been lazy lately with the salt and baking soda rinse. I will definitely go to the "carifree' website, and try sugarfree chewing gum. My voice has not returned to normal, but the extent of my hoarseness comes and goes. Sometimes I can barely whisper. Other times it sounds squeaky and high pitched. And other times it sounds close to normal, but still rough. My friends have said they can always understand me when I talk.

I sincerely appreciate your reply. I am not big on sharing my problems with others, but I do read the blogs on this website regularly. It's wonderful the way you reach out to so many. Your comments are always kind, caring, and extremely helpful. Thank you for your help.

• Stephie75

You are most welcome. What you are going through your voice sound exactly what mine was doing - to the T!! Actually, this last period has been the longest where I haven't gone back to a whisper or a squeak, for over a week. I am a little over 6 weeks out... Hang in there :)

If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. I felt a bit like you when I first joined. You can always send a PM if you feel uncomfortable sharing something with the whole forum as well.

-Stephie

• Stephie75

and beagledad had some youtube videos. One was on dry mouth. Here is a link about it:

Yep, he just tape his mouth shut!

• Boston Bunny

Thank you Steph75. I am encouraged that maybe my larynx is still healing, and I will eventually sound normal again. Oh, and thanks for letting me know about the Carifree website. I've already ordered the CT x4 Rinse Treatment. It sounds like a great product.

• Stephie75

I like it. They have a gel and spray on there for dry mouth. I hope you like it. I used it all through radiation and my RO even made a comment my teeth looked good :) The next time you see your dentist, you can ask them about it, and they may also carry it or have an opinion on it. I am sure there are other products out there. The MI Paste Advanced I like as well, you are putting fluoride and vitamins on your teeth, but you need need to use a tray. I've heard people on here claim that can burn especially when they have ulcers in their mouth.

Let me know how it goes for you! And I want to hear when that voice of yours comes back. For me, it was an overnight thing, like I coughed and there my voice was again!

Keep your chin up 😋

• Boston Bunny

Your positive attitude is inspiring. I will let you know when my voice returns. Thanks again for all your help.

• CSNSupportTeam
    CSNSupportTeam admin Posts: 219

Hello everyone,

Thank you to those who've alerted us to the spamming from earlier today, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. While we have security measures in place, we can't prevent all spam. If you received a message, please do not respond or share any of your information.

Going forward, please continue to report any spammers or questionable behavior to us.

Sincerely,

Ken

CSN Support Team