Dematologist soon after Radiation?

Stephie75
Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member
edited March 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I was wondering if any of you started to notice new moles, spots on their necks real soon after radiation treatment? It's only been a month and a half since my treatment ended and I can feel spots that weren't there. I feel as though I need to get seen by a dermatologist.

Did anyone else notice this so soon? Where I live my treatment was during the winter months and I was not spending time in the sun, or tanning beds at the time (nothing outrageous like that) nor have I gone on a vacation to islands anywhere... It just seemed to have popped up quickly.

My whole neck receive radiation about 50% of what my larynx did, which was cracked up due to my tumor being on my left vocal cord. It's just giving me something else to freak out about.

I was never a hypochondriac before cancer. Now everything freaks me out. My anxiety about it is always high, perhaps I will give myself a heart attack or stroke if cancer were to reoccur. The artery on the left side of my neck has been painful since surgery like it's swollen or something. They have already taken me off of pain meds. My RO wanted to put the responsibility back on my PCP. Now that I have been tapering off, I feel the pain again. It scares me. I worry something has come back.

My neck is swollen, as well as under my jaw and face and it's quite stiff also. This was not the case while I was getting radiation. I also have the fluid above my clavicles but mostly pronounces in my left.

Just asking for some input. My sleeping has been disturbed.

Thanks,

-Steph

Comments

• Stephie75

I guess no one has had this occur.

I have heard to be very careful about this. This forum is so quiet.

I guess I will wait til my appt.

Sometimes it would just be interesting to know.

But, Oh well.

• DarcyS
    DarcyS Member Posts: 81 Member

My husband received treatment for stage 4 cancer of the Piriform Sinus, T1N2bM0. He had 6 weeks of Chemo followed by 10 weeks concurrent chemo and radiation, inpatient 1 week on - 1 week off. Treatment ended 9+ years ago. He experienced neck burns nd has a bit of scarring but no new moles. I would recommend a trip to your dermatologist for your own peace of mind. He did experience neck swelling for an extended period after treatment and still has a stiff neck at times. He was given neck stretches to do daily and continues to do them periodically still. Hope this info helps.

• Stephie75
    edited March 2022 #4

Thank you so much for your response, Darcy.

This does help, and I currently have the swelling your husband experienced (not just above my clavicles)... So it will be nice when it calms down. I would imagine the fluid is part of the reason for the neck stiffness.

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,034 Member

Steph,

As Darcy mentioned, please see a Dermatologist to ease your mind. I will add that I finished my Radiation treatments in early 2005. During the year of 2005 my wife noticed what I thought was a freckle get larger and suggested I see a Dermatologist. I am glad I did as it turned out to be Melanoma on the left side of my face. I returned to my Surgeon that handled my cancer from 2004.

I too had the stiff neck and fluid buildup after I completed my treatments. I thought it was just a tightening of my skin from the Rad's but it was the removal of the Lymph nodes causing the backup of fluids in my neck and face. I was sent to a local cancer Physical Therapist that taught me some stretching exercises and a gentle massage to get the Lymph node system to get moving once again.

My Best to You and Everyone Here