6.5 weeks after last radiation treatment

2»

Comments

• TiffanyC
    TiffanyC Member Posts: 3 *

Hi everyone, my husband went thru throat cancer 3 years ago and there were many thing we had to figure out ourselves. With the Ulcers(due to radiation of course, the gift that keeps giving) after each meal, my husband would have to rinse his mouth. That seemed to helped! Than comes the mucus, drinking sparkling water or beer helps. I make sure he has a bottle of sparkling water by his bedside during the nights to help with dry mouth. I find that Arrowhead sparkling water stays bubbly the longest, so it would really help with the mucus. Magic mouthwash helps temporary when he couldn't eat. I try not to cook anything acidy or salty. Something soft and mushy, easier to swallow. As time goes by, his throat gets more and more restricted, so getting Physical therapy will help move those neck muscle. Also, my advice is to keep an eye on your mental health. Even after being in emission, mental health is also very important. My husband went thru depression. With all the treatment that the body had to endure, remember to listen to your body. And share with your loved ones what your going thru. It's team work!

• Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member
    edited March 2022 #23

@TiffanyC Thank you so much for your response. I think it's very important to allow people to know what they may be forward to dealing with, yet at the same time, they may not. We are all different.

I think this is a great thread to use for this purpose.

I did not have a dry throat until after my radiation treatment was over.

I did not have Chemo, or surgery ( I tried to get surgery) They were too concerned about my voice. I was not. I am not a singer.

They tried to do everything possible to set me up for every appointment I did not need at that time.

My Oncologists were not compassiationate.

I only made it through with friends on here (friends) not people that hurt you. The friends I had here to give me tips. A ton. My doctors never told me. There was so much.

Mental health is a HUGE thing. I have become friends with someone else on here that goes through anxiety as I do. I feel that it has to be the worse. She is my spirit person, and I have seen people take advantage of women on here. I have been flirted with and I have no idea how that is in any way normal on a cancer forum. For us women, we don't want attention from men. We need support. Support from men does not include that.

[Content Removed by CSN Support Team]

I only have 2 good friends on this forums due to people treating people so oddly.

Check out the first page of my cancer thread. I was attacked because my husband was not a great caretaker. Honestly, I couldn't even talk aboout my life. I thought of leaving then.

[Content Removed by CSN Support Team]

So know that you are in good hands to talk to, if one person says something negative, report them! Immediately. 

-Stephie

• Stephie75

I wish people would think about the mental side of cancer much more. I really do. People took advantage of me using it and it hurt really bad.

We are here, and I am just getting through the trauma.

• TiffanyC

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm only here because I thought maybe my story would be able to help others going thru it. As for my husband and I, we had to google and learned things ourselves. Hard to believe, but doctors don't always tell you what will happen next. Like you said, everyone is different. Mental health is as important as it is physical. I hope you are dong better and that everyone should know, you are never alone. There's always someone out there to listen and help.

• TiffanyC

No worries. like I've said, I'm only here because I want to help the next person.

• Stephie75
    edited March 2022 #27

Welcome! Me too Tiffany!

• CSNSupportTeam
    CSNSupportTeam admin Posts: 219
    edited March 2022 #28

Thank you all for your comments on this discussion. Please reach out to the CSN Support Team if you have any concerns about the site or other members. You can always report any inappropriate behavior. You can reach out to us by clicking on the Contact CSN button above.

Also, please be careful about sharing personal contact information with others since we are not able to assist if it's outside of CSN.

• Stephie75

I've PM'd the support team. No worries regarding this.

• swimbody
    swimbody Member Posts: 68 Member

Good deal Stephie! Keep those creepers in check. Some dudes need to be neutered.

• Stephie75
    edited March 2022 #31

Are your feeling better, Swim? 8 weeks is coming up!!!!

• swimbody
    swimbody Member Posts: 68 Member

I am Stephie. Just nervous about the upcoming CT on April 4. The PET is a month later. Ulcer issue has severely shut down as predicted. Still have a scab in the throat so that's encouraging. Thanks for asking. How are you?

• Stephie75
    edited March 2022 #33

I'm hanging in there. You are going to be ok!! Scanxiety. I have it too.

I also don't have people telling me I am a wuss for worrying about it anymore and to "quit worrying about it" seriously. "Suck it up" I mean. Damn.

Toxic.

I am here for everyone, and I will always be here for you, Swim! I fear too it will come back. If it does I'm going out to Houston. My PET is in May.

We've got this!