RAI Treatment

sushimum
sushimum Member Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2022 in Thyroid Cancer #1

Hi guys, Had a total thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago. Also founf a couple tiny lymph nodes that were removed. Tall cell. Having RAI treatment in a few weeks. Want to ask if anyone here has had it and if it was emotionally manageable being alone. I have bad anxiety disorder and I am so scared to be by myself. I figured if I got through surgery and hospital w no visitation bc of covid, i should be ok, but i am scared. Does it hurt? Can you breath okay during it? I have read about the salivary gland swelling, does it make your tongue swell? Thank you for any info you can provide!! : )

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

Hi sushimum I've heard about it but haven't had to have it so far. Wishing you all the best!

• sushimum

Thank you so much, I appreciate your kindness

• curlywombat
    curlywombat Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi,

I had RAI last year.

It didn't hurt. The RAI is delivered in one or more pills that you swallow. I didn’t feel any different after I took them than before. It was actually hard to believe that the radiation was doing any work because I couldn't feel anything.

You will likely have to shower, drink fluids, urinate and eat sour candies every two hours over the first night, and that will fill up some of boring, lonely hospital time. The candies and fluids help to avoid the salivary gland problems and you will need to keep them up for a couple weeks or more. The more diligent you are about that, the less likely you will have salivary problems. Massaging the salivary glands also helps.

Good luck with your treatment!

• sushimum

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, it makes me feel hopeful. I'm so glad that things worked out for you! xo

• Miles' mom
    Miles' mom Member Posts: 40 Member

I ditto the above comment. The PET/CT scans before and after caused me major anxiety, but your doctor should prescribe you meds to get through. Otherwise we need to isolate--which we are used to by now :o(.

I am sorry you are going through this alone. I have been dealing with this for 4 years now and God and family support is what gets me through. At least you now have a community through us! Keep checking in and God speed! :)

• Miles' mom
    Miles' mom Member Posts: 40 Member

Oh... also, you will lose your sense of taste. But if you have had covid (or any flu!), you are used to this too..

• sushimum

Thank you so much. I hope my taste isn't gone for too long, I love to eat lol

• lorio72
    lorio72 Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello 😊

I had RAI treatment just 4 days ago and am currently still in isolation. I do have some nausea and fatigue, which is to be expected. I also have somewhat of a metallic taste in my mouth but other than that still have my sense of taste and no mouth dryness. Awaiting results from my whole body scan that was 2 days ago.

Well wishes to you in your journey. This thyroid cancer stuff can be scary and overwhelming...