limited range of motion - right arm

jim108
jim108 Member Posts: 34 Member
edited March 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

i had surgery last August, TORS on the tongue and removal of 21 lymph nodes in my right neck. completed chemo & rads early december.

i've noticed in the past 5-6 weeks or so that i can't raise my right arm straight up - pointing to the ceiling. best i can do is have it come level to the floor, pointing to the wall. there is pain / stiffness in my upper arm and shoulder. i can't remember if this was an issue prior to 5-6 weeks ago - i think if it was i'd remember.

i checked in with the surgeon and he said it could be a particular nerve and the muscle that is likely affecting is the trapezius. he said PT would likely help.

what's odd is that i didn't notice this problem until recently. at the same time my cheek and lower ear lobe have "wakened" up more and feels like your foot is waking up after being asleep.

when i had a picc line put into my left arm i switched to the other side of the bed so i could use my right arm to move from lying down to sitting up. i've just moved back to the other side and am using my left arm again to get up. don't know if this makes a difference or not.

has anyone else had this problem and how did you manage it?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

Well, Jim, I had a lymph operation on my left side in 2019 and my arm does not lift more than about halfway since then but that is because they had taken some muscle and tissue I believe. My guess is you are getting some latent muscle and nerve effects going on from the operation. These things can happen over time I think or they may not. I would say if it doesn't affect the activities you normally don't let it bother you but if you are having issues or just want better motion go with the physical therapy.

Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,034 Member

Jim,

Like you and Russ, I was unable to move my one arm the way I did before surgery. My surgery was on the right side, Radical Neck Disection with part of my tongue removed, over 30 Lymph nodes removed as well as some muscle. I really didn't notice a problem until after my treatments as my neck was getting much tighter. I mentioned this to my Radiation Oncologist and he sent me to a Cancer Physical Therapist locally.

Once there, I was taught neck stretching exercises along with a gentle massage to drain the Lymph node fluids away from my shoulder and neck area. The Therapist also taught me other exercises to stretch and strengthen my shoulder muscles. It was a slow process and took several weeks but has been very helpful over the years. I would suggest you give Physical Therapy a try.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member

Ditto to what Marine said and Russ said, Jim.

• jim108

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. I'm going to check out PT very soon. In the meantime I've started some light stretching.

Jim

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member

Go to PT....don't wait and take it seriously. I had the same after my neck dissection. Couldn't left my left arm above horizontal. I regained 100% range of motion and probably 90% of my strength in that arm. Can be fixed but the longer you baby it, it will become harder to fix.

Good luck.

• jim108

thanks John. the PT unit at the medical center where I got the cancer tx is 2 mths out. i'm kind of wanting to go there as they were honest about which of their staff would be best qualified to treat this. there are smaller PT places in the area that i'm not hopeful about, but i'll call.

By any chance do you have any of your exercises - particularly the stretches you could share. I am stretching as much as i can massaging it and can now lift my arm just a little bit more than before...

thanks,

jim

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member

I literally went to a "chain" PT here in my town. They will know exactly what to do for you. At least in Iowa you don't even need a referral...you can walk in and they will assess you... But what you're talking about is spinal accessory nerve damage due to neck dissection/head and neck cancer treatment.

It's been a while but a few that I remember are:

1) Lying face down on the table and with a light dumbbells in my left hand lifting out to various angles...so straight out like a T, straight up pointing to the "sky" and then the dreaded 45 degree angle...it was so hard.

2) Lying on my sides with my left elbow tucked against my body again with a light dumbbell doing these chicken wing type of lifts

3) Lots of resistance band work at various angles

4) Lifting weighted boxes from the floor to a shelf and back down.

I wouldn't worry so much about going to the medical center where you were treated...the local place down the street from your house will hook you up.

Good luck.

• coffeelover
    coffeelover Member Posts: 2 *

Similar issues with my right arm, but mine also had a shooting pain that radiated through the muscle when I tried to push up from the bed/couch. On my first visit with PT they informed me that my radiation treatments sometimes affect a primary nerve that runs down the side of the neck, across the shoulder, and down into the arm muscles. They informed me that hopefully with use, stretching, and exercise the nerve would repair itself and recover from the radiation treatment. So far that has been true, and I'm able to use either arm to push up today. It took 3-4 weeks of PT and use at home to finally notice it wasn't bothering me much any more. I'm still battling fatigue and muscle atrophy from inactivity, weight loss, and two rounds of pneumonia, but PT is helping a lot with the nerve issues.

Good luck.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member

That would be the Ulnar nerve, Coffee. Had problems with mine years ago, pre-C. Got sent to a Neurosurgeon, but because of my rebuilt windpipe he said the only way he could access the spine in my upper neck would be thru the top of my skull- which he did not want to do anymore than I wanted him to. Fortunately for me, I learned by chance a simple exercise that seems to have eliminated the problem.

My Rad damage to both sides of the neck was a different nerve, each, and have been on meds for it over 10 years.

Good luck.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

Coffee Welcome to the forum and I hope you feel at home here. I am glad the PT is helping you. I don't know when you finished treatment but fatigue can drag on for quite a while but you will get through it. I can imagine the 2 rounds of pneumonia took their toll on you also. Glad you made it through and are on the good side.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member

As I understand it, the problem comes from the nerves in your neck that fire the trapezius muscle. They get damaged from the radiation and cause the muscle to atrophy. The muscle is actually OK--it's just not getting the 'firing' stimulus it needs from that nerve. Sometimes the nerve regenerates and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it responds to PT and sometimes it doesn't. The only advice I can give is to have the PT and keep trying until they say they've done all they can do.

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member

Jim

After my full neck dissection I was unable to extend my left arm straight and lift it past my shoulder. I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk with my arm extended. Since I live about 74 miles from my doctors they found a physical therapist in my area qualified and sent me there. She also took care of the fluid build up in my neck. I'm guestimating I went three times a week for about four months. She was just a little thing and me being 6'2", she massaged my neck so hard it hurt but I was never going to let on that she was hurting me. It really helped and I'm back to normal.

Don't ask my wife she will tell you I've never been normal.

Enjoy the day

Jeff

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member

My situation was pretty much like yours and some others who posted. My surgeon said he had to go under the nerve to get a positive lymph node and that my right arm pain should go away on its own. It did but it took almost a year. Two years later all was back to normal. Hope the same happens with you.

• Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member

Duggie,

I have fluid in my face, neck and above my clavicles - it actually started to show up 4 weeks into radiation for me. Due to the holidays and my first week being a partial week it took me 8 weeks to finish radiation. I had it all through Christmas and New Year, even as a birthday present! Once a wreck took their fiber connection down to the internet as well so appts. were canceled that day.

I have thought that I needed that really nice and gentle lymph massage, but your response makes me wonder.

They set me up so quickly with PT (the first couple weeks of treatment, when I did not need it) Now that it's over I feel I do need it. The medical system tries to set you up with every possible test, group, EVERYTHING right away before it's even necessary.

I felt I should make an appointment with the PT, I believe you have convinces me. This fluid is not ok, or normal. I didn't have surgery, but my full neck was radiated. I have heard if it's not taken care of it doesn't go away. I don't know if that's a myth or not.

I'm glad I saw this thread.

Thanks!

-Steph

• Greddy100
    Greddy100 Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi Jim, I had a TORS tonsillectomy and a level 4 selective neck dissection. I had considerable impairment of the trapezius of the best part of a year. It has totally recovered now.

• Stephie75

I have heard of this. Someone on here had posted before he could lift his arm but halfway up. He literally went to a "chain" PT group where he was located and they knew what to do... He has the full range of motion now, but it was not easy for him. He worked his butt off. However, it paid off.

If I find that thread, I will share it. He stated most large PT chains know how to deal with it. It was a lot of resistance training etc.

I don't even remember how I ran into it.

• jim108

I started PT last week and I'm very optimistic. Prior to starting I had been working on stretching and was able to lift past 90 to about 100 - 110 degrees. PT confirmed the accessory nerve and states I should get full range back. Thanks everyone for your support.

Stephie75, yes that comment was in this thread, earlier on.

Jim

• Stephie75

@jim108

My apologies, I should have done my homework and read through the previous replies. However, he is proving it is doable. I do know of people that did not attempt to get the full range of motion back. Perhaps that tends to have to do with age and other medical problems and/or back problems possibly with some people not wanting to go through the intensive PT. To me, age is just a number. If we treat ourselves right, we can a lot better than we imagine.

I have read a lot of stories about people really changing their lifestyle after cancer and feel like they're in the best shape of their lives in their 50's and above when compared to when they were in their 20's!

A positive attitude as well makes such a huge difference as well as surrounding yourself with positive people!

You'll be doing walking handstands before you know it, Jim! 😁

-Stephie

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member

Stephie

This new site format confuses this dumb truck driver and I have no idea how to directly respond to your response to me.

I'm not sure how much radiation contributed to the fluid in my neck, I was under the impression it was the surgery that caused it all. I am also not sure whether the same physical therapy would work for both. I know my doctor in Philly stressed that the therapist needed the knowledge to treat mine and any old therapist wasn't going to cut the cake. I would ask your oncologist any questions regarding this issue. In eight days it will be 12 years since I completed radiation and I still always have questions. I know the health care system allows only a certain amount of therapy but you can always get another doctor excuse to continue therapy. I know I had to do so.

Hope this helps

StayPositiveStayStrong

Jeff