NED @ 1.5 years and new lessons in scanxiety

misterace
misterace Member Posts: 37 Member
edited February 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi All,

Just wanted to pop in and report some good news on my end.

Little recap: Partial Nx 7.2020 @ 34 years old, Stage1b 4.5cm.

As part of my surveillance we do a Chest CT and abdominal MRI every 6 months... will graduate to once every year once I Gd willing hit the 2 year mark of NED.

Had my Chest CT 2.7.22 early AM and MRI 2.8.22 late PM.

Previously, I would get the CT results within hours - like, 4 hours. This time around... they didn't get to me for 2.5 days.

I was in DEEP scanxiety and fearing the worst, since I always also schedule a face-to-face with my Uro-Onc the same week of my scans ahead of time. "He isn't releasing it because they found something bad, and wants to see me in person" was the dominant thought in my head... major doom and gloom. 2 sleepless nights, and zero appetite for 48 hours.

Wednesday night both of the reads came back - NED. What a relief. Turns out, the radiologists were just a little backed up which happens sometimes.

New lesson: Sometimes if it takes a few days for the scans to come back, don't worry, it doesn't mean anything.

Hopefully this post helps someone else that had to deal with this - try not to jump to conclusions :)

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

NICE! Congrats!

And your doom-and-gloom-over-a-delay experience sounds just like my last scan. Scanxiety is such a @#$#...

Here's to many more NEDs!

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

Congratulations on being Ned

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

Congratulations! Great news!

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,069 Member

Good news, congrats! My experience with scanxiety shows that it does get better with time. At least by 7th year, as with my husband :-) I am sure you’ll get to year 7, and then 10, and then 20 and so on and will be calmer and calmer with each scan :-)

• Biner
    Biner Member Posts: 137 Member

Yes, in people with stages 1-2, this gradually turns into a routine, like an annual doctor's examination. But 3-4, unfortunately, they live differently for them, it's stressful every time.