Recurrence of upper esophageal cancer

ptom
ptom Member Posts: 41 Member

Had feeding tube placed on Jan. 6th and home on the 11th but suffered blockage on the 19th. Went to see Dr. but ended up in ER with pneumonia on the 20th due to aspiration. Home today. Feeling much better but wondered if it's safe to rinse and spit anything just to taste something again? No swallowing involved, just need to taste something. It is possible to aspirate just rinsing and spitting? Hate to start from square one again!

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited January 2022 #2

Well if it's just in your mouth swishing around and not near your throat you should be ok. If you aspirate I think a person coughs to protect from that happening as a warning. But then I think there is a thing called silent aspiration where you aspirate but don't cough which situation are you in? Also, give us an idea of your situation. Why was the feeding tube put in? If it is a swallowing problem can they do dilations to help it? You say "Had feeding tube placed on Jan. 6th and home on the 11th but suffered blockage" Where was the blockage in the feeding tube or elsewhere? With a better explanation of your situation maybe the folks on this forum have something to share.

Sorry, you are experiencing these problems and needing hospital care but you are home now.

Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    edited January 2022 #3

ptom

I've been FT-dependent for 29+ months. Read the lungs can handle a little water, so I "got a thing" about flavored water ice cubes. Of recent I bought a bag of BBQ potato chips ❤️ , put a little one on my tongue and kinda suck on it for a couple seconds then spit out. Then spit several more times and see the BBQ color, so I spit until I see it no more, and a little flavor stays in my mouth.

I doubt if you are "desensitized" in your windpipe yet, as that takes quite awhile, so you should feel the need to cough if whatever goes down the wrong pipe- but that depends on your neck's nerves and any tx damage, I should think. I go thru a whole deep coughing procedure when I wake from sleep, typically on a recliner, carry a spittoon, and try to cough stuff up many times during the day. Had been doing that for some time before my 1st swallow test back on 7/2019, and when given the test both the Dr. and Tech could not believe I had avoided pneumonia. I figure it had to be because I coughed enough of the bad stuff up to avoid it.

Hope this helps get you thru your ordeal, and good luck.