I have chemo next week constantly spitting and coughing

ozymandible
ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member

So what is the deal here? Do I spit discreetly into a kleenex? Anybody else reach this point?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

Hi ozy I hope you are doing as well as possible for now and hope the treatment you are getting is the answer. I would say the answer is yes you can spit into a paper towel, kleenex, etc whatever works best for you. But when you go there also mention it to the folks about your problem and request one or more of those little bags they have in the hospitals and cancer centers made to spit in or when people may throw up or catch whatever comes out of people. And if you are going to be using one regularly ask for several or more they will probably give you some. Also, I would recommend that you start out with some kleenex spitting into and putting them in the bottom of the little bag to soak it up some and make it not as visible. While you are there ask them if they can determine why you are doing this and they may have an answer and a solution. And have you tried lozenges or something? Sorry, you have one more thing to deal with.

As always prayers for you ozy-Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

By the way, I found the bags are called Emesis bags and are available at pharmacies and online. I am pretty sure you probably have seen them. I never knew the medical name till now.

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member

Thank you Russ

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 85 Member

UNC Hospital, where I received my treatments, would give me these bags whenever I asked. I never left home without one! It does eventually end…..