Back pain post nephrectomy, not prior

rdale
rdale Member Posts: 5 Member

I had a nephrectomy of my right kidney. They couldn't do the surgery laparoscopically, as I have a lot of mesh & scar tissue in my stomach, so they cut me from my right front to back & separated my ribs. I am having terrible back pain which shots around my side. The surgeon said it can't be from the surgery, but I didn't have it previous to the surgery. My primary care said it is from the surgery & that it's nerve pain. I have a high pain threshold, so It scares me. It's not getting better & is there 24 hours a day. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 63 Member

I had severe nerve pain after surgery. In the skin and fat layers it felt like burning....literally being on fire burning. In the muscle layer the best way I can describe it is...you know how lightening forks out into lots of little fingers well it was like that. It was a slow stabbing electrical type pain forking out but slow...and it was the most agonizing thing I have ever experienced. What my GP said to me was when you have surgery to get injured and nerves are cut or damaged you get a numb spot, for most people the feeling just gradually comes back but for me it was the nerves misfiring. So idk if that helps or not but that was my experience with nerve pain after my nephrectomy.

• rdale

Thank you. It does help as I'm scared. As long as I know it will eventually pass, it will help me deal with the pain. You're bright though, it's horrible. Thanks again.

• Tobi

I also want to add that my nerve pain started when I had surgery on August 30th and it was the end of October before I was able to get around without it being agonizing. So it lasted a long time too.

• rdale

I'm sorry you had to go through this too. I had my surgery November 17th, & was in tears this week over the pain. God bless you.

• Tobi

Just fyi I found ice would short circuit the pain. Just ice packs directly on the skin will short ot out when it's really bad and keeping the area cold with wrapped ice packs will help because my experience was even the pain pills didn't help the pain at all.

• rdale

Thank you. I'm finding the same thing. Nothing helps. I'll give icing it a try. Thank you so much!

• nelsontj
    nelsontj Member Posts: 1 Member

I’m new to this community and am really glad to find help from others that can relate. I too have a burning from my left kneecap to the top of the thigh. My situation is a unfortunate(full nephrectomy but widespread) butI still am trying to do what I can. I will try the ice. Thanks for the tip! I send you well wishes.

• rdale

They also have lidocaine patches which sometimes take the edge off. Good luck & God Bless you. If you need to talk or vent let me know.